Win Media Pack

Discussion in 'Software' started by peterr, Dec 18, 2012.

1. peterr

peterr MajorGeek

Hello
    I am well into Win 8 and have the Win 8maedia pack. Does this allow for dvd videos or do I still need another player?
    Thank you

2. Earthling

Earthling Interplanetary Geek

Why not just stick a DVD in and try it peter?

3. peterr

peterr MajorGeek

>>I will have to play with it. I did put a video in and it showed individual files unlike Win media player that played the whole dvd uninterruptedly. I tried the shift key to play all but as I said I'll have to play with it.
    Btw, thank you for the encouragement to upgrade cleanly.
    Needed drivers for printer but all else especially 64 bit Office went fine.
    I notice Firefox is not ready yet.

4. Earthling

Yes, it does just display the files on the DVD. However if you start Media Player and click on Videos you will then see the video and can play it. I haven't looked into this yet - it's probably just a question of Win 8 lacking a file association, which can easily be rectified.

I thought you would regret not upgrading to 8 so thought I'd try provoking you into it. Seems it worked ;)

5. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

6. Earthling

Thanks for the link plodr. Seems a bit of a drop-off that Media Center in Win 8 doesn't just recognise and play DVD videos automatically, but that sorts it.

7. peterr

peterr MajorGeek

>>I am very glad you did entice me. It is fun learning once again. I'll be back to pester again. :wave

8. peterr

peterr MajorGeek

>>Plodr
    May I ask, do you have Win 8 and have actually installed this codec?
    I think temporarily will bring the video into the media pack and see if it plays there.
    I tried to save your link by both saving target as and copy but when pasted into my word docs where my pc notes are, it was about three long strings of characters. Is that the way I can save it to refer to later?
    Thank you
    Peter

9. plodr

No, I do not have Windows 8 and just like Vista, it is one version of Windows I do not intend to run.
    Just google "play DVDs in Windows 8" and you will see lots of news about MS's decision to not include this feature.
    Bookmark by clicking on Shark007 aside of the word author on the MajorGeek's link.
    In the left pane you'll see Win 8 codecs.

Or, what I'd do, just install VLC and it will play anything.
    http://www.videolan.org/vlc/index.html

10. Earthling

Except live TV, but Media Center can - if you have an adapter of course. Plodr, some of your seniors might get Win 8 shortly and as there is definitely a learner curve here, ????????

11. plodr

No, none of my seniors are getting a new computer. I'm working with folks in their 70's and 80's. The computer they own will probably be the last one they purchase.
    If they need another computer, there is a Dell refurbed spot that several people have used to purchase computers, including me to get one for my hubby. He doesn't need cutting edge, just something to allow him to do what he is used to doing.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds