Win-RAR free today (Sunday only)

Discussion in 'Software' started by bigbazza, Jul 30, 2006.

1. bigbazza

bigbazza R.I.P. 14/12/2011 - Good Onya Geek

2. star17

star17 MajorGeek

3. bigbazza

Naah, I don't think they are that smart. ;)
    They probably don't take time zones into account.:confused:

I got an email off to the site requesting a free copy but the link crashed as I was sending it. :p
    Don't know if the email got through.
    Link is too busy to get back onto the site. :mad:
    Damn. Bazza

===

4. bigbazza

Never did get back on the site again. :p
    As I said, I don't know if my email got through. :confused:

Will wait a few days and maybe contact them and explain what happened. Bazza

5. matt.chugg

matt.chugg MajorGeek

Pah... my internet wasn't working over the weekend lol

6. Jerkyking

Jerkyking Sergeant Major

I got the Key or .rar file but couldn't the program.

7. COMPUABLE

COMPUABLE First Sergeant

>> I got the Key or .rar file but couldn't the program. Jerkyking <<

Assuming that you meant "couldn't find (or open) the program"

Click Here then, when you get to that page; scroll down to:
    "English WinRAR and RAR release"
    and then click on:
    WinRAR 3.51 - Graphic and command line - Trial - 990 KB

After you have downloaded and installed WinRAR 3.51 click on the .reg file that you received via e-mail to add the registration to your registry. Also, you might want to keep a copy of that .reg file backed in a safe place; because you'll need it if you ever want to re-install the program. ;)

Good Luck

8. Jerkyking

Jerkyking Sergeant Major

That would do it. Thanks COMPUTABLE. I'll play with it this weekend.

9. COMPUABLE

COMPUABLE First Sergeant

>> That would do it. Thanks COMPUTABLE. I'll play with it this weekend. Jerkyking <<

Oh, anytime Jerkyking... My pleasure really! ;)

I've actually thoroughly tested many of these kinds of ".zip" or ".rar" types of compression/decompression utilities over the years. For the "Average Joe or Jane" user; generally, if you've seen one you've seen them all, IMO. However there are some exceptional ones available out there on the web if you like using this type of utility.

Yesterday and today I ran a fairly basic testing of the WinRAR 3.51 utility (after I got the free .reg key from the WinRAR folks) and all and all I have to admit that I was very impressed. In particular, I found the most useful function was the "Wizard" mode which allows new users instantaneous access to the "basic" archiving functions during a simple Q & A method. WinRAR appeared to be faster, more efficient and better in just about every sense when compared to many other archiving utilities I've tested in the past.

For years I have used (and highly recommended) my sentimental freeware favorite called ZipGenius to deal with .zip .rar and .ISO files because it supports over 20 formats and it doesn’t need to collect user’s data or to show advertising messages while running (adware/spyware free!) ZipGenius can compact and de-compact and handle numerous archive formats, including ZIP, RAR, CAB, ACE, 7-zip, ARC, SQX; also, it can read and decompress CD/DVD images in ISO9660 format (.ISO, .NRG, .CMI).

Back in the day, WinZip was the preeminent and dominate archiving and compression shareware program available to Windows users. Many still seem to like using this popular shareware utility which interfaces well to most virus scanners. However these days; I believe a better alternative for folks who are "new" to this type of utility is UltimateZip because the interface is actually easier-to-use and faster as well as offering more options.

For instance WinZip offers no support for RAR and ACE archives and the UltimateZip program does support these two and 14 others. UltimateZip still free for private use; but a startup screen will be shown at start. If you use UltimateZip for your company or business you need a license; but at $15.95 UZ is about 1/2 the price of WinZip "standard" edition. Also you have to pay a whopping $50 bucks (for WinZip Pro) which; among a few other “extras” offers the ability to "zip and burn" directly to a CD and/or DVD.

Side Note: I discovered a fairly useful Usenet WinRAR forum. There's some good info there; if you do not mind the somewhat annoying single "pop-up" that seems to appear as you enter each thread or page there.

Good Luck!

10. bigbazza

@COMPUABLE@

Thanks for listing alternatives to Win-Rar, if I don't succeed in convincing them to include me in their now NLA (Sunday) free version. Bazza

11. COMPUABLE

COMPUABLE First Sergeant

>> @COMPUABLE@ Thanks for listing alternatives to Win-Rar, if I don't succeed in convincing them to include me in their now NLA (Sunday) free version. Bazza <<

For YOU, Bazza? Anytime, my dear... ;)

Both ZipGenius and UltimateZip are excellent choices. For anyone who's never, ever used any of these types of utilities a thorough reading of the included HELP files will certainly go a long way, particularly if you're not used to compression or archive types of programs.

ZipGenius is actually 'potentially' capable doing of a lot more than UZ, so it requires a bit of reading and exploring some compression/archiving-related forums (IMHO) before trusting any archived files with it. However I think UltimateZip is more intuitive and easier-to-work with for noobs, at least in my opinion.

I actually like the shareware WinRAR freebie that I received very much. It seems to work faster and do more than either of these other two that I mentioned. I've never actually tested WinRAR before because I do not have to deal with .rar or ISO files all that much. Also I had a bad experience dealing with the support another shareware .zip utility - they wouldn't help or offer any support until I paid-in-full first - so I'm usually a bit gun shy about "archiving" anything long term with a newer program (freeware or nor) that I've never tried before; but especially when it comes to shareware products..

Very Important NOTE: For anyone who's never, ever used any of these types of utilities a thorough reading of the included HELP files will certainly go a long way, particularly if you're not used to compression or archive types of programs.

Good Luck!

12. BeenThereDoneThat

BeenThereDoneThat Private E-2

Found this that they are thinking about doing the giveaway again, try this link and see if signing up for the news letter helps.

quote from their site:

If you couldn't download your free WinRAR key or haven't received the instructions e-mail yet, don't worry! All registered users will receive their key.

More than 40,000 people were able to receive a free license key for WinRAR 3.51 non upgradeable version. We were overwhelmed by the response and so were our servers: they had quite some trouble handling all the visitors.

If you are one of the people who was not able to get his share of the pie, don't worry, we are working on another solution to extend our special offer to you and all the other people who were unable to take advantage of the offer.

We should have a solution within the next few days. Please sign up to receive our newsletter so that you will be able to learn about this new offer as soon as it is released. Click here

Thank you very much for your support!

Here is the link:

http://www.win-rar.com/bestoverallutility/

Hope this helps,
    BeenThereDoneThat

13. bigbazza

Thanks, BTDT.:D :cool:

Link is still overwhelmed apparently. Will try tomorrow. Bazza

14. BeenThereDoneThat

bigbaza,

I just tried the link and work right away. Did you get the page that shows the link at the bottom "click here"? It is not easy to see, but I tried it and it took me right to the registration page.

BeenThereDoneThat

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 1, 2006
  15. bigbazza

No. URL link could not be found. Will try again, :p and again, :p and again.:p ..... Bazza

===

16. bigbazza

"Can't find website". Stuffit. Bazza

17. BeenThereDoneThat

Are you using this link I put in my first post? I maybe didn't make it so it could be seen easily enough.

http://www.win-rar.com/bestoverallutility/

Works for me.

BeenThereDoneThat

P.S. I added a screen shot to my first post if that will help.

18. bigbazza

Yep, Bazza.
    PS: Gotta go now. Will try again tomorrow. Baz

===

19. BeenThereDoneThat

I registered for 2, 1 in my wife's name and 1 in mine and in reality will only use 1 of them. I noticed though that the 2 keys were exactly the same and read on Lunarsoft.net that the keys we all the same to everyone. I got both of them and in reality will not use 1 of them, so if you will PM me I will send you 1 of my keys that I will not need or use.

If the mods think this is not right or not legal please delete this post. I am not trying to cheat, but help Baz, if I can.

Have a good day,
    BeenThereDoneThat

20. bigbazza

Thanks again, BTDT.
    Will PM you if I don't connect tomorrow. Bye for now. Bazza

===

21. bigbazza

Thanks BTDT, for PM'ing me.:) My reply sent to you today.:) Bazza

22. BeenThereDoneThat

Bazza,

I sent everything out about 1 hour ago, hope you get it all. Hope it helps.

BeenThereDoneThat

23. bigbazza

email received, thanks, BTDT. :) Will check it out when I logoff MG soon. :cool: Bazza

===

24. BeenThereDoneThat

Glad to be of help.

BTDT

25. bigbazza

BTDT, I Installed Win-Rar yesterday and loaded the key. All looks fine, all went OK.:cool:
    Thanks again.:) Bazza

===

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds