Win Server 2008 Multiple Locations

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by bulbfish, Jan 11, 2012.

1. bulbfish

bulbfish Private E-2

Hello. I have a project I have to do for school, in order to graduate, but I am literally stuck here.

Here is the thing I have set up, and the issue:

I need 3 different locations, Let's just call them A B and C

On location A there are 150 computers, and people need to login from the server on location A.

On location B there are 80 computers, people need to login from the server on location B.

On location C there are 200 computers, and people need to be able to login from server C.

I need to make a fail-proof network.
    If on location A the server stops responding, my replicator (Which I locate in location C) needs to take it over so that users are still able to log in. If location B stops working, the replicator needs to take it over as well.
    I am running this virtually, so I have 3 servers(3locations) and a replication server. Location A: 192.168.1.11 is my server.
    Location B: 192.168.2.11 is my server
    Location C: 192.168.3.11 is my server, and 182.168.3.12 is my replication server.

I can't ping, or join the existing forest, my ' mainserver ' is on location C.
    How do I solve this? And I don't even think a replication server can replicate 3 servers, and take over the ones that are down. Is this even possible?

2. thelaptopguru

thelaptopguru Private E-2

Hi,

Need more info here!

How is it virtualised, what VM package are you using.

how did you go about building the network?

does each server run as a domain controller with active directory?

how is dns being handled?

I wouldnt have thought you can offer protection against redundancy
    with only one extra server.

3. brownizs

brownizs MajorGeek

For our agency, everything is connected through VPN. Sad thing is, you lose one part, or one server, you sit and wait for the network to come back online, due to how screwed up Illinois's CMS has it.

As for the original question, you would start by looking at the failsafe. You would need a Dual-WAN router, so that you have a fallback to another provider, or another line. What is the type of incoming service that you are looking at? ADSL, Cable Business solution, T1, DS3? Since this is a single server per location, it would fit into a SoHo, so that means that if you are looking at file shares, the users would have access to shares at any location, but in turn if they went to each location, their login is available at any.

Also, where is the exchange server, domain controller located? Does each have their own, or is there just one serving all three through VPN?

The best thing to do, is start reading the information that Microsoft has, and slipstick solutions in how to set this up, due to it is your homework, not mine. Have fun, and good luck.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds