Win Update Prob Error 80246008 & Bits

Discussion in 'Software' started by DawnGoCubs, Nov 19, 2016.

1. DawnGoCubs

DawnGoCubs Private E-2

Hi everybody -
    I have 8.1 & I'm the Administrator (& only user). For the last few months I haven't been able to get my Windows Updates to download. They look to be downloading and installing but after awhile they give me an 80246008 error. My research tells me that I need to have BITS running. (For those who know as little as I do it's the Background Intelligent Transfer Service). So I went to service.msc which shows that BITS is running on automatic. (I also saw something online about COM+EVENT being a possible problem. That is also running on automatic.)

I like to check my Resource Monitor and found that BITS is not running and I can't get it to run. Windows Update is running in processes and is pulling 25% CPU. I never noticed because my computer didn't slow down. I can't find COM+EVENT in the Monitor. Windows Update is Wuauserv and next to netsvcs.
    So off to Process Explorer. Under a svchost.exe I found 13 items in the one containing Windows Update. It's also pulling 25%. I can list the other 12 programs if you need to know them. I didn't look for BITS since it's a service.
    So BITS is running in services.msc and not in my Resource Monitor. I keep trying to start it there but it won't start. In researching this I only found instances where BITS needed to be turned on. I found nothing that said BITS could be running in some places and not others.
    If you are thinking of doing something with my C prompt it seems kind of weird to me. It's C:\Users\Dawn D>
    Thanks for any and all help. Dawn

2. satrow

satrow Major Geek Extraordinaire

Hiya, Dawn.

That's been a fairly common issue, mostly with W7 but also Vista, and 8.1. I've not had to fix it on 8.1 (the 'fix' changes monthly anyway) but give the instructions here a careful study, it might help (or maybe MS have at last written up a fix, they did eventually, for W7): http://wu.krelay.de/en/ (primarily for 7, but also parts for Vistas/8.1).

3. DawnGoCubs

DawnGoCubs Private E-2

Thanks for checking that out for me. Unfortunately I've been doing this for a few months and there's been no fix. Unless I get the 80246008 error message fixed I can't get anything from Microsoft updates. It's gotta be that BITS thing. Thanks for your time.

4. MaxTurner

MaxTurner Banned

5. Eldon

Eldon Major Geek Extraordinaire

BITS depends on 2 system components:
    1. COM+ Event System.
    2. Remote Procedure Call (RPC).
    Ensure both have their Startup type set to Automatic.
    BITS.jpg

6. mdonah

mdonah Major Geek Extraordinaire

I've used the Windows Update Troubleshooter suggested by MaxTurner a few times to fix Windows Update problems in Win 8.1. It's worked and has fixed the BITS problem plus one or two other problems. I don't know if the .CAB file you'd download gets updated regularly though.

7. DawnGoCubs

DawnGoCubs Private E-2

Hi all - I'm going to do what Max Turner suggested. I ran that Microsoft fix a month ago and it said all was well, but it wasn't pulling 25% of my CPU then. I saw nothing about a .CAB file back then. I'm really backed up on my Updates so the files are huge.
    I did mention that I knew the COM+Event system was related and it's running on automatic. I just checked two Remote Procedure Calls (RPC) Locator and just the regular Remote Procedure Call. They are both running on automatic.
    I have a cousin who has a computer business but he only installs networks for big businesses and doesn't deal with this stuff much. I don't like to call him because we always get into family issues (as if you guys care) :rolleyes: but I bit the bullet & called him last night. He gave me different instructions about what to run from the command prompt. He mentioned that I might have a corrupt file. Oh goody. I would have no clue what to do with that, and since the phone call started to get into politics (that's when I ended the call) I can't call him again.o_O So I should be back with some kind of results.
    Thank you all again.

8. MaxTurner

MaxTurner Banned

Another step that can fix system file problems- and has no downside to running it - is sfc /scannow
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/kb/929833
    You must use a 'Command Prompt (ADMINISTRATOR)' for it to work correctly.
    Just right click the bottom left windows tile icon and choose 'Command Prompt(ADMIN)'

9. DawnGoCubs

DawnGoCubs Private E-2

Hi Max Turner (and all), you and I were thinking alike. I just finished running your suggestion in your earlier post and then ended up doing what you have in your recent post. The earlier Microsoft "fix" did scan the registry. I hate the registry (just so you know). The result of the early scan was: Problem installing recent update had a red X. Service Registration is missing or corrupt had a green circle - Hurray; Window Update Error fixed #x80070057 2016-11-20 - green circle. This number has nothing to do with my error #. This was unsuccessful. Then I did sfc/scannow. The answer that I got is well beyond my abilities with a computer:
    "Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them. Details are included in the CBS.log windir\Logs\CBS\CBS.log For example C:\Windows\logs\CBS\CBS.log. Note that logging is currently not supported in offline servicing scenarios."
    I've done this stuff and will continue to do what I can when I'm online. The page told me that I could get this corrupt file from another computer that isn't corrupt. WHAT?? I have done nothing to this computer in the last few months that I haven't been doing for the last year. I'm going to scream in my pillow now. Thanks Again.

10. MaxTurner

MaxTurner Banned

11. DawnGoCubs

DawnGoCubs Private E-2

Thank you so much for your quick replies. I got discouraged when it seemed the only fix they listed was to get a good copy of a corrupt file and it seemed very difficult. I truly appreciate all of your help. I have to get ready to go to dinner but I plan to be on here tomorrow evening to tackle this again. I'll be sure to carefully follow all of your instructions and I'll post the results for you to view at your leisure. Dawn

12. MaxTurner

MaxTurner Banned

Great. I wish you the best with that Dawn.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds