Win v7 vs Quicken Deluxe

Discussion in 'Software' started by tetarpy, Nov 14, 2011.

1. tetarpy

tetarpy Private E-2

I have win 7 and wish to reinstall Quicken 2012 Deluxe. Pop up windows says that windows installer in in accessable and will not install. Refers to error 2503 and/or 1606. I have tried a bunch of different installer repair programs - to no avail; even malware removers and also tried to reinstall windows installer, all with no success. I could use some help. Thanks

2. tgell

tgell Major Geek Extraordinaire

3. tetarpy

tetarpy Private E-2

Sorry, your suggestion did not work. "Could not find path specified"

4. tgell

You said this was a reinstall. Try running the Microsoft Installer Cleanup. Highlight only the entries that relate to Quicken if they are present ( there may be no entries )and press the remove button. Then try a reinstall. Run this in an admin account.

[​IMG]

5. tetarpy

tetarpy Private E-2

The file windows installer calls for is "c:\winnt\system32\msiexec.exe/v". The file on my computer is "c:\system 32\msiexec.exe". Could this be the problem?

6. tetarpy

tetarpy Private E-2

Windows installer clean up states "not enough space or a corrupted cabinet file"

7. tgell

I am not sure what is going on but I think you may have issues other than just the installer problem. Hopefully somebody here can give their thoughts on this.

8. tetarpy

tetarpy Private E-2

I appreciate your time and help. Thanks

9. tgell

10. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Read through this http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315346
    it does mention the /v switch.

This path c:\winnt\system32\msiexec.exe/v is for windows NT and 2000
    while this path c:\system 32\msiexec.exe is for XP, Vista and 7.

11. tetarpy

tetarpy Private E-2

Good start!

But when I get to the run as administrator, that does not appear on the right-clicked drop down menu. Where do I find it?

12. plodr

13. tetarpy

tetarpy Private E-2

Directions do not allow me to go to step three. Any ideas?

14. tetarpy

tetarpy Private E-2

Let me clarify mny last post. The directions are fine, it's that when I reach step three, nothing happens. Sorry for the confusion.

15. plodr

Then I'd ask in the seven forum I linked to.
    I have never run Quicken so I can't help you further with software I am not familiar with.

16. tetarpy

tetarpy Private E-2

I am beginning to think the problem is not with Quicken but tied to the "windows installer" part of win 7 and Adobe Flash. Does anyone have any ideas?

17. tgell

Try this and see if you can install.

18. tetarpy

tetarpy Private E-2

I get the following error messages sequentially:

1) system cannot find the path specified
    2) load language failed
    3) do you wish to overwrite?
    4) \disk1\setup.exe (unable to execute)
    5) unable to execute the specified command line

19. tgell

One last try. If it does not work then I would say there is a more serious issue going on that only a repair install would fix.

One note: Windows 7 uses Installer V5 and there is not downloads for that version. Repair can only be done by doing a repair install or doing a System Restore at a date before it happened. Do you have an Install CD?

Run Regedit and see if you have this key.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\msiserver

%systemroot%\system32\msiexec.exe /V should be the key value for Image Path.

Before you try this. Does this problem occur when you try to install anything? If it is just Quicken, then I would not try the below fix.

Before you do this, create a System Restore Point so you can go back if there is a problem. Go to this site and download the reg fix. See if it helps. Do this in an admin account. Even though it is for Vista is should work for Windows 7.

http://www.winhelponline.com/blog/vista-the-windows-installer-service-could-not-be-accessed/

20. tetarpy

tetarpy Private E-2

Thanks for all of your help. If you do not hear from me again, I have put this computer out of its misery and am going into modle railroading. At least I can get some peace there. CIAO

21. tgell

Yep, Model Railroading can certainly be a lot less stressful than computers. :)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds