Win XP - blue text mean anything

Discussion in 'Software' started by pegg, Apr 19, 2005.

1. pegg

pegg MajorGeek

I've always wondered why certain documents or some other folders showed up as blue text rather than black text when I went to open them (especially obvious in Explorer when you can see a long list).

Yesterday, I tried to get more space on my C: drive so I went double clicked "My Computer", hit "properties" and checked the box that says "compress drive to save disk space". This took about 1 hour and it did free up a few % of space.

Then, when I went into Explorer -- almost EVERYTHING had changed from black to blue text.
    Does this denote a problem?
    Does it have anything to do with compressing the items on the C: drive?
    Is it something I can ignore?
    I have NEVER seen any document of file ever in blue text on my computer at work let alone having this happen so I'm turning to you wonderful people for help...

Attached Files:

2. Coco

Coco Sergeant Major

It just means that those folders/files are compressed.

Also you should remember, that while compression does save space it makes it take longer to access the files. Which means it slows loading times of things usually.

3. pegg

pegg MajorGeek

OH -- well, that makes sense from a cause/effect standpoint. I was going to leave out what I did immediately before everything turned blue and see who was the genius to ask me if I had compressed the drive!! :eek:

Anyway, while that made sense, I've never "compressed" the occasional blue text file I've seen on and off before...So maybe it's done once in a while in some other program...that's why I wanted to make sure it wasn't from some other "problem".

Thanks for the quick answer.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds