Win XP fresh install on a secondary drive?

Discussion in 'Software' started by MrPipps, Oct 15, 2008.

1. MrPipps

MrPipps Private E-2

Hello

I have a 2.5" IDE drive and I need to place a fresh XP install on it. I am hoping it might be possible to connect the drive to an existing desktop PC and to perform the install that way?

So my question is: Would it be possible to perform a basic Windows XP installation on a second hard drive, using a computer which is already running XP on its primary hard drive?

Thanks for your help.

Pipps

2. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

Yes it certainly is. But there are difficulties.

You can obtain cheap adapters to connect the laptop drive to the desktop. Laptops drives have different physical connections.

When you run windows setup from the Windows CD you are given the opportunity as to where and on which drive you install.

However

During the installation Windows setup gathers information about the computer it is running on and set up Windows XP accordingly. In this case that would be the desktop. Obviously all wrong for your laptop.

Worse the process generates a "hash" from manufacturers codes for all the hardware (drives, motherboard etc etc) that is found and uses this for the activation.

So it is impractical to use the new XP setup to run the laptop, it will only work on the desktop it was installed in.

3. MrPipps

MrPipps Private E-2

Thank you for your help.

4. Appzalien

Appzalien Staff Sergeant

You could buy an external 2.5" drive enclosure, put the new drive in there and install XP from your laptop. That would allow you to avoid most of the inconsistencies. That is as long as your laptop can see the drive at bootup.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds