Win XP Home:usb kbd needs unplug/plug every boot

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by zapp, Oct 20, 2012.

1. zapp

zapp Staff Sergeant

guys I've seen this in the distant past but can't get it remedied.
    Windows XP Home on a Dell Dimension 2400. XP Home is clean install, all up to date.
    It basically works except that everytime XP loads up to Desktop, the kbd/mouse are apparently unrecognized. So I have to unplug from the USB port, plug back in to a different USB port, then most of the time each will work again, but it always wants to go through the Driver Install wizard as though its never seen such before. These are just common, ordinary usb kbd and mouse.

but it gets worse. Tried it with three other keyboards, and three other mice including a couple of wireless ones, and it doesn't like any of those.
    They will work fine in BIOS/Setup, but when XP Loads it is as though no kbd/mouse are present. plug/unplug, I will get the wizard, but no way to navigate, so I have to revert to the one device it will tolerate.

is this a driver-sequencing issue? or lousy chipset drivers for the USB controller? there are no bangs in the Device Manager, and no errors in the Windows Event log related to this issue.
    I guess maybe PS/2 type serial devices would work ... but I don't have any :-D:-D:-D

2. Rikky

Rikky Wile E. Coyote - One of a kind

Basic troubleshooting measures-

First go into bios and make sure usb is enabled, then make sure usb keyboard and mouse is enabled in bios,update windows to the latest version.

Go to your motherboard manufacturers website for the latest xp chipset drivers and update, or dells website.

You haven't posted the model of the keyboard and mouse? Check the manufacturers website for the latest drivers for your keyboard and mouse, if they have any driver at all install it.

Are you using a usb hub or any kind of usb extension,are you using the front usb ports or the ones round the back? In either case connect the mouse and keyboard directly to the rear ports.

3. zapp

zapp Staff Sergeant

yes, no problems with BIOS. every keyboard/mouse I have tried is good in bios. the problem occurs when xp loads up. the 'best' of the combinations I've tried works like a charm except for one evil: does not matter which usb port I use: when bios loads I can interrupt, check that the kbd/mouse are registered right with bios - that's all good, then go ahead and boot XP Home. when XP is loaded/ready to the desktop [there's no password on the one user acct] the connection to the usb port that the device is plugged into is gone - like non-responsive. have to pull it out the unhealthy way, replug it into any different USB port, and it will be found/loaded.
    That is the BEST case [and its that way every time... unplug, reinsert some other port]

The worst case is that the unplug/plug has no effect - its just not happening. in other words, plug the devices in, check bios - that checks - have live kbd, live mouse - boot XP, no devices. unplug, replug, still no kbd or mouse.

you mention hub - to answer your question, no. but it might actually help... I have a belkin 4 port hub. Since specific drivers for that would be loaded [and I can fetch them and force it if need be] wouldn't the potential issue with the pointing devices then be isolated? so it might work?
    whatcha think?

4. Rikky

Rikky Wile E. Coyote - One of a kind

I think it's a chipset driver problem or windows problem that will be fixed upon a windows update and chipset driver update, I have experienced the same problem many times that is fixed by doing this,my razor naga mouse does it on win 7 every time boot until I install the driver.

If you want to troubleshoot it yourself that's up to you, adding extra components and drivers is the opposite of troubleshooting you just add more complications and another thing that can go wrong.

If you would still like my help post which windows service pack you are on and the date of the latest windows update,whether your 32 or 64 bit.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds