Win XP Login fails after adding Japanese

Discussion in 'Software' started by dhudkins, Sep 6, 2006.

1. dhudkins

dhudkins Private E-2

A student here added the Japanese character set to her Windows XP SP2 Dell Inspiron 1150. Following the install at boot, she receives a login prompt, when the password is entered, it shows loading personal settings and then returns to the login screen. Same thing happens using the Administrator in Safe Mode. Have tried the F8 Last known good configuration option with no change.

Any ideas as to what's up?

Dan

2. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

Login logout loop
    Enter the Recovery Console

Boot the system using the Windows XP CD-ROM. In the first screen when the Setup begins, read the instructions press "R" (in the first screen) enter the Recovery Console. Type-in the built-in Administrator password to enter the Console. You'll see the prompt reading C:\Windows (Or any other drive-letter where you've installed XP)

Type the following command and press Enter.

CD SYSTEM32
    (If that does not work, try CHDIR SYSTEM32)

COPY USERINIT.EXE WSAUPDATER.EXE

Quit Recovery Console by typing EXIT and restart Windows.

You'll be able to login successfully as you've created the wsaupdater.exe file (now, a copy of userinit.exe)

Now, change the USERINIT value in the registry (see Phase II in this page) and change it accordingly.

Click Start, Run and type REGEDIT. Navigate to:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ SOFTWARE \ Microsoft \ WindowsNT \ CurrentVersion \ Winlogon

In the right-pane, change the value of Userinit to "C:\WINDOWS\system32\userinit.exe,"

Type the above value exactly as given, including the comma - exclude the quotes. Also, change the path to userinit.exe appropriately if Windows is installed in a different drive.

Close Registry Editor and restart Windows. The Quick Launch settings should be retained now.

3. theefool

theefool Geekified

If the above does not work, try:

HOME:

Reboot into safe mode and use the administrator account to remove the password from the primary account.

PRO:

Hit CTRL + ALT + DEL (2 times).

Username: administrator
    Password: (typically blank). as in Hit OK (enter).

Remove the password on the primary account.

4. Matacumbie

Matacumbie Rocky Top

I think they tried that. ;)

Steve

5. dhudkins

dhudkins Private E-2

Thanks - I'll give that a try.

6. dhudkins

dhudkins Private E-2

Well at least a new symptom.

Got to the recovery console. Went in and made the change (Copy userinit.exe wsaupdater.exe and rebooted. Same login loop.

If I did CTRL-ALT-DEL twice, I got a login screen with a character set I did not recognize (not Japanese) and then once again a password loop.

Further suggestions welcome.

7. theefool

theefool Geekified

I have an idea that is brewing in my head.

Will get back with ye.

Besides the administrator logon and the other, is there any other accounts?

I assume you already tried a repair install (rarely suggest this).

What about a chkdsk /r c: via the recovery console?

Last edited: Sep 7, 2006
  8. theefool

theefool Geekified

The following is merely a guess. As in, only a fool could try this. :)

If the repair doesn't work. Try the following.

Initiate a repair install.

But when you get the first prompt (once the windows gui installer shows up, with mouse countrol).

Hit CTRL + F10, then type in:

START control

and follow this link in reverse, as in remove the options:

http://greggman.com/japan/xp-ime/xp-ime.htm

Then type in exit when finished.

Continue with the repair

Note #124: I bet there is an eaiser fix, but my brain always like the convoluted fixes, that never has been tried. :)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds