win xp pro hang non responsive

Discussion in 'Software' started by juntuo, Mar 21, 2008.

1. juntuo

juntuo Private First Class

machine sometimes will not open programs or when you do they will not respond. sometimes I have to do a manual boot because I cannot click on start to shut down machine. I run winpatrol, zonealarm, avast home, celeron 2.0 win xp pro stripped to the bone and 512 ram. TIA for any help. juntuo

2. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

When you can get to it, press ctrl+alt+del an look at your running processes. How many? Is there one or two that seem to be using a higher % of the CPU aside from system idle?

3. juntuo

system idle is at 98 other than that task mgr is btwn 02 and 05. pros are hanging or opening and not responding. I cannot burn dvds

reg mechanic
    regfix
    regcure
    defrag with diskeeper
    clean with cc cleaner
    run spybot with updates
    run super antispy with update
    zonealarm
    winpatrol
    mozilla behind proxy

winpatrol comes up with .reg it wants to change and a .scr

Thank you for taking a look and helping me out. juntuo

4. plodr

You do not need any registry programs running at startup. You pick one and use it to clean when you want to - on demand. You don't need CCleaner running at startup. You don't need a defragger running at startup. Kill the first five from running at startup as a start.

sorry but I have no idea what this means

5. juntuo

I don't have these pros running they are what I have used to try and solve the problem. juntuo

6. plodr

You have answered my question

7. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

Which version of ZoneAlarm are you using as some now come with built in AntiVirus and as you already have Avast then two AVs will slow a PC down as they will be scanning same files.

Before removing either, do let us know which ZoneAlarm it is?

How many Startup applications do you have starting? this will have a bearing on your PCs speec as your on the min range for decient RAM on an XP PC, to find this out run CCleaner ( as you already have it installed ) then click Tools > Startup and take a screenshot of the list or type it out.

8. juntuo

halo

I have upgraded my machine to 1gb ram removed avast home, upgraded to zone alarm 7.0.462.000

running on start up:
    zone alarm
    realtek audio
    skin clock
    super antispy
    pgp

9. juntuo

plodr

I have 35 running taskmgr runs 02-05% systemidel is 95-98%

10. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

System CPU% figures are normal and ok, reletively slim startup set of apps so thats ok, and after the ram upgrade is your PC working fine?

Do also run Basic Cleanup Steps and do a Defrag.

Also is this PC going through a malware cleanup?

11. juntuo

system seems to run a little slow at times. When I burn a dvd it goes thru the whole process but will not finalize. my settings change, when I open moziila it asks me if I want it to be my defalt browser. I have always used mozilla! I have my c partition for my os d partition for my paging file e partition for my program files f/g rom drives h/j storage and music. I sometime have to open taskmgr to close programs due to no response. I am at a loss and don't know what to do.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds