Win XP Pro updates, concerns and questions

Discussion in 'Software' started by thegrindre, Sep 6, 2011.

1. thegrindre

thegrindre Private E-2

Hi all,
    OK, this may have been addressed elsewhere so I'm sorry for re-posting but I haven't been able to find it, so far so, here goes.

I have a custom built PC with an OEM version of Win XP Pro SP2 and have installed this version many times in the past with no issues.
    Updates are always a pain and take for ever to install from MS Update website but, that's to be expected.
    The issues now are;
    1. When XP becomes 'extinct', how are we to install all the updates after 2013?
    2. Is there a way to obtain all the updates on a CD/DVD?
    3. Is there anybody addressing this issue for the future?

Being 63 years old and retired, I don't foresee me needing a 'new' OS in the future, such as Vista or Win 7, because XP does everything I need it to do at this time, as short as it is, now, being on the downhill side of life, that is.

Thanks everybody,
    Rick

2. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

XP will be updated through April 8, 2014.
    You might want to consider buying an image program.
    I use Acronis and when I have a problem with my Windows 2000 computers, I restore the image taken after the last updates July 13, 2010. That way, the computer has all the windows updates. I just need to update MBAM and my AV program. I have done later images so there is less to update, thjough no new windows updates.

3. thegrindre

thegrindre Private E-2

Thanks but, I believe you missed the point or at least I was unclear as to what I would like help with.
    I have the OEM Win XP Pro SP2 disc so, problems and issues with my existing installed OS is not a problem. This disc will fix anything that arises.
    The issue I have is with all the security and OS updates after installing the basic OEM OS on a new hard drive or re-installing once a year to keep your PC clean.

Thanks, though...

Last edited: Sep 6, 2011
  4. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

That's why you create an image AFTER you have the last MS security patch installed - so you have all those patches on the computer.

I have NEVER reinstalled windows yearly to keep any of my PCs clean (and I've owned 14 computers so far).

The alternative is to go to the MS catalog, start downloading the patches and burn them to a CD or DVD for later install.
    Here is SP3 for XP that would include lots of the patches. At minimum, I'd grab and burn that so your computer can go from SP2 to SP3 quickly.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds