Win xp sp3 updates fail

Discussion in 'Software' started by langtounboy, Jul 4, 2009.

1. langtounboy

langtounboy Private E-2

For the last week now I've been trying to install updates but there is something on my computer that is preventing it.
    I'm getting an error code 0xF00D.

I've tried to install the updates separately but still no joy :cry

Help please

2. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

Do you have any firewalls and/or antivirus software running? Perhaps one of these apps updated itself and now is somehow blocking the updates. You can also try running the Windows Update repair in Dial-A-Fix. It's a great free program, but i can look a bit intimidating if you're not familiar with what it's doing. Don't worry, it is completely safe and it cannot cause any problems. It does not remove or replace or write anything to/from your system, it merely checks and repairs the status of files already on your system. So, you can actually check all the boxes in the Dial-A-Fix window and safely click "GO" and it will do its thing. It's a great little program to run once every month or two just to be sure things are as they should be.... one other thing to try: click Start, click Run, type netstop wuauserv and click OK. Then go to My Computer and browse to C:\Windows\Software Distribution; rename this folder to Software Distribution-OLD or something similar. Then again click Start, click Run and type netstart wuauserv and click OK. Then try your Windows Updates again.... if none of these things work, let us know and we'll try some others... good luck!

Last edited: Jul 4, 2009
  3. langtounboy

langtounboy Private E-2

Installed dial a fix and ran it no joy
    Tried netstop wuauserv and get error message windows can't find netstop :confused

4. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

Hmmmm.... try simply renaming the Software Distribution folder to Software Distribution-OLD or whatever, then try Updates again. There's a ton of info in this article that may help, and Microsoft has a 'fix it' tool for resetting updates. You can download it from this direct link.
    Good luck!

EDIT- there's a space between net and stop in the commands above... sorry :-o

Last edited: Jul 4, 2009
  5. langtounboy

langtounboy Private E-2

Thank you for all the advice; unfortunately still no joy :cry
    The up-dates that will not install are

KB963093
    KB956572
    KB959772
    IE8

I've switched off the firewall; anti-virus is AVG free edition 8.5.392, spybot and superantispy ware.

I'm running win XP home SP3.

Help please :confused

6. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

Uninstall Spybot for now and run CCleaner and its cleaner and issues tool to remove any old files, then reboot and try again, but make sure you're logged in as admin.

*spybot S&D does at times block registry entries being added*

or try installing the updates manually and not from WU

KB963093
    KB956572
    KB959772

IE8 I have left off on purpose for now, fix the above ones first and then run Windows Update and see whats listed and try to install an update from WU.

Have you also checked for PC for malware? this can prevent updates installing.

7. langtounboy

langtounboy Private E-2

Spybot removed; Ccleaner ran, rebooted, virus scan complete with no malware.

tried to update individually from your links but still fails!!! :cry:cry:cry

hair pulling is now getting serious :confused

8. rustyjack

rustyjack MajorGeek

Hi there you can maybe try this it worked for me :

To register WUPS ( Windows update service )
    Go to start>run> type cmd :
    When cmd opens type : net stop wuauserv.
    Press enter :

To register WUPS.dll file
    Type : regsvr32 %windir%\system32\wups.dll file
    Click on each varification:

To start the automatic updates service
    Type : net start wuauserv
    Press enter

Then try updates, if this dosen't work then i think it is as DLB says it must be an AV or F/Wall preventing it.

Please may i point out if doing it this way gives you a message saying
    "this command cannot be carried out as it needs elevation"
    don't worry, just start again and run as administrator. Also make sure you put the spaces between the typed words as i have.

Good Luck Hope This Helps !! :)

9. lego126

lego126 DJ's Geeky Dad

XP SP3 update killed my computer. Read this thread.
    http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=194258
    It may work fine for you and I know it works for other people, but I tried to install twice, and failed both times, and I eventually turned off Auto update, cause it kept' trying to install SP3. Good Luck

10. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

11. lego126

lego126 DJ's Geeky Dad

I would have loved to have that info last year :cry Even though i needed a new computer, I might have been able to wait a bit longer ;)

12. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

That information is from 2008.

13. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

Try this http://support.microsoft.com/kb/943144 and then download and install the Windows Installer 4.5 package

Also open up the registry, to do this click Start > Run and type regedit and hit enter, then navigate tto this location

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion

and click the Current Version folder and in the right panel look at the highlighted below registry key in ProgramFilesDir and what is its path, mine is C:\Program Files

[​IMG]

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds