Win XP very Slow + 2 other things

Discussion in 'Software' started by Disrupted, Oct 14, 2011.

1. Disrupted

Disrupted Private E-2

Heya, first of all thanks for the service you provide and I hope this will not take much of your time.
    These are my problems:

1- I use this Pc both for work and games, Its an old pc and I could only run old games, the best-looking one I have is garrys mod and I run on low-medium settings, still, it ran pretty well UNTIL a few months ago.
    Everything became extremely slow for no reason, doing small tasks takes far more of the cpu than it should, I cant even play Diablo 2 LOD decently and that game is 10 years old. Whenever I try to watch a movie it starts consuming cpu gradually more and more (and only watch 480p versions and below) and it kinda becomes a slideshow with sound of things happening in the future
    I dont think its a problem of the Hardware since it all ran pretty well before and I meet the requirements.
    I dont really understand what's causing this and it has me too confused =X

2- Recently I discovered that both of my DVD readers have stopped working correctly, they can barely read anything and sure cant be trusted to burn anything. Dunno if its hardware or software problem though.

3- I've read recomendations of using MGTools to discover what's wrong, but it doesnt seem to work, it just says file not found and it closes itself almost instantly. (I also tried to run it because before I came here I passed by the malware forums, just to make sure that wasnt the case, and I am clean) Just saying this in advance in case you recommend that I try it to discover what's wrong.

I'm sorry if this is not enough Info, I am very computer Illiterate and am not even sure this is all software problems, but except for the drives there doesnt seem to be any problem with it.

Link to my previous thread in the malware forums in case it matters:

http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=245604

Also I include an Everest system resume in case it might help (which was also in the other thread)

EDIT: I also saw some other threads that looked a bit like mine when regarding CPU usage, but I was afraid of touching it due to my potential ignorance in realizing that it might be a different case, hope I wont make you repeat yourselves =X

EDIT2: Oh, I also run CCleaner almost every day and ran Windows live essentials scanner and Malware bytes scanner every once in a while plus Piriform Defraggler regularly and have low fragmentation over all if that matters.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 14, 2011
  2. Disrupted

Disrupted Private E-2

I dont know if its relevant, but I noticed something that I thought it was strange. I decided to run defraggler since I hadnt in a bit, and notice that while the fragmentation was only at 8% in C: before I did anything the blocks were all scattered and even after I did a full defrag, some time after they start appearing scattered again while the ones in Drive F are all together for the most, I wonder if this is normal or means something specifically. The drives are identical, one of them comes from an old Twin PC I had.
    Also is it normal for the gold and purple files to be the way they are? It seems a bit too irregular.

Sorry for the bump, but couldnt edit anymore.
    lately pc seems to get slower faster than normal (reason why I made this thread), and not having a way to copy important stuff to a dvd is making me a bit nervous. In fact it gets slower faster than before I ran defraggler again,m which strikes me no less than weird.

I included Pics with defraggler showing how each drive is.

EDIT: Oh, also if it matters Fragmentation doesnt seem to go lower than 7% in C, no matter how many times I run defraggler.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 20, 2011
  3. Disrupted

Disrupted Private E-2

Oh, another thing, I just run defraggler a bit more and when doing it, many times it shows for a little bit that all blocks are full, then goes back to how it was.
    Oh and after scanning again, some red blocks are there which when selected they say that there are no files in the block, is this normal?

The Edit option should last longer... I was forced to post again even though it was unecessary considering the time It passed.

EDIT: Oh, It finally went past 7%, at 6 now.

4. BoneXXX

BoneXXX Private E-2

I think you should check the task manager to see what uses the computer source. There could be a virus or malware issue so I suggest you to create a rescue disk from any antivirus software. Here is Dr. Web Rescue CD or KASPERSKY, you can boot your system with this CD and scan your system for viruses and malwares also there is Hiren's Boot CD to check your systems HDD for bad sectors and life of it.

5. Disrupted

Disrupted Private E-2

Erhm... before I proceed with those I'd just like to ask a few things:

Rescue disk? does that mean I'd have to burn a program into a cd? cause like I said both my dvd-readers have stopped working, can barely read, much less burn.

Also, like I said in first post I already passed by the malware forums and they said I was clean. (though they could have missed something)

One of those links you gave me says its for x64 and x86 systems but I think my system is x32?

Oh and maybe I should have said this better, but in task manager there's never a culprit, its' just whatever I am running takes far more cpu than it should, be it opening a folder (explorer.exe), watching a movie (mpc-hc.exe in this case), browsing the web (firefox.exe et al)

6. BoneXXX

BoneXXX Private E-2

Yes you need to burn to a CD, you can download these files and take to a computer shop to ask them to burn to CD or maybe you can do it at internet cafe.

Check your operating system if it is 64bit or not by Computer/right click/ properties if it is 64bit it says 64bit but if it is 32bit doesnt say anything.

It is better to scan the system without Windows you will get more accurate results.

I remember there was a virus that causes to keep the CPU really busy and slow down the computer. The problem could be that or the HDD is dying or the windows is going to crash soon.

7. Disrupted

Disrupted Private E-2

Yeah, seems to be 32bit. Regarding the CD even if I burn one It still cant read, perhaps I should have worded it better, last time I tried to run a dvd, autorun didnt work, I could explore it but it was slow as hell, I tired to run an exe and it did not run, yet when I left it doing some stuff overnight I came back and the exe that I loaded from the cd was taking half the cpu but not doing anything. (and the dvd wasnt even in the drive anymore).
    Maybe It is without saving? I am really trying to find a way to fix it as I dont think I can afford a new one any time soon

8. BoneXXX

BoneXXX Private E-2

if the dvd rom was running before it cant break suddenly so probably it cant read disks cause of something of windows. You should try to boot something from the dvd-rom.

By the way have you tried to turn on computer in the safe mod to see how it runs ?

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds