Win XP x64(Pro) back up software

Discussion in 'Software' started by Tacoboy, May 26, 2009.

1. Tacoboy

Tacoboy Private E-2

I'm using Windows XP x64 Pro and need to back up files.
    I just purchased a Seagate External and found out the Seagate software (Free agent) does not support x64 (64-bit windows)
    Does x64 Pro come with good back up software or is there a better 3rd party software (something free)?

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

Do you want document backups or image backups or both? (image backups are the whole HDD and will restore your HDD as if nothing happened to it, depending on your regime of backups, so last known good one)

This one is free and works in x64 http://www.macrium.com/reflectfree.asp (will re link to Majorgeeks as soon as we update) will do Image backups for free, just like the superb paid retail app Acronis True Image.

Or if just data or document folders then can use Microsoft Sync Toy 2.0

or Karens Replicator

3. Tacoboy

Tacoboy Private E-2

No image, just data.

4. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

SyncToy and Karens Replicator should do what you need, just need to setup the folders you want to backup and those apps can be scheduled to backup, when you need.

In the case of SyncToy some info here as I used to use synctoy alot to mirror some folders so that whats in them is always latest files from my main apps folder on desktop to the portable HDD so that they can be transfered to other PCs, but as Vista has backup built in I dont use it as much and, But the options are powerful so do read up on them, SyncToy also allows you to backup over network shared folders.

Both options give you scope to backup multiple folders of data.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds