Win10 Upgrade Fail

Discussion in 'Software' started by Skullduggery's Dupe, Jun 27, 2016.

1. Skullduggery's Dupe

Skullduggery's Dupe Master Sergeant

I have a Lenovo ThinkCentre M75e 5042 A7U with 4.00 GB of RAM (3.75 GB usable) and 332 GB of free space on disk. Win10 says that it is compatible with this hardware.

After thoroughly backing up my user data AND creating a disk image, twice I attempted to upgrade from Win7 Pro to Win10. Each time, 32% of the way through the installation, with 5% of features and drivers installed, the system crash. I rebooted, and the install wizard recovered by Win7 installation.

Here's the error I got:

Windows Update

Windows 10 couldn’t be installed

Failed: 1 update

Error(s) found:

C1900101 -30018 Windows Update encountered an unknown error.

Warning You're not connected to online Help, which shows you our latest content. Check your Internet connection, and then try to connect to online Help again. If you still see this message, the online Help service might be temporarily unavailable.

Information We update Help frequently. To see our latest content, switch to online help.

Read the privacy statement on the Microsoft website.

8 results for "WindowsUpdate_C1900101" "WindowsUpdate_dt000"

1. Troubleshoot problems with installing updates

2. See which Windows updates are installed

3. Windows Update error 80244022

4. Windows Update error 8024001F

5. Windows Update error 8024402C

6. Windows Update error 80072ee2

7. Windows Update error 8024401b

8. Windows Update error 80072efd

Second attempt: error was : C1900101 -3000B

This time it crashed with 6% of features and drivers installed.

This is as close to an actual screenshot as I can get, given that at the time of crash, no image manipulation program is available to me to save a PrtScn. So I just took this photo with a dumb phone whose camera isn't very good. But this image would seem to strongly suggest that the problem is indeed the upgrade itself, rather than an update.

Win10 upgrade fail.jpg

Does anybody have any idea what I’m doing wrong?

2. theefool

theefool Geekified

3. mdonah

mdonah Major Geek Extraordinaire

That guide is for upgrading to Win 10 from Win 8.1 not Win 7.

Many of us had problems going the upgrade route with Win 10 and ended up doing clean installs of Win 10 and Win 10 is running just fine on our machines.

Stephen_c16 likes this.
  4. MaxTurner

MaxTurner Banned

The most pertinent part of the Lenovo support guide is:

"Ensure that you have updated your system BIOS and device drivers to the latest version. Otherwise, Windows 10 might not function properly. You can update your system BIOS and device drivers through one of the methods below:
    1. Go to the Lenovo Support website at http://www.lenovo.com/support to download and install the latest BIOS and device drivers for your system.
    2. Run the Lenovo System Update, if available on your system, and follow the update prompt"
    It is the most relevant for the simple reason it is the main obstacle to updating to Win 10 on any make of system.

5. Earthling

Earthling Interplanetary Geek

Your machine is not supported by Lenovo for Win 10. This doesn't necessarily mean you won't be able to run Win 10 but Lenovo will not be supplying any new drivers for your machine. It's still worth updating anything they do have that is newer than your existing.

https://support.lenovo.com/gb/en/documents/ht103535#thinkcentre

6. Skullduggery's Dupe

Skullduggery's Dupe Master Sergeant

Thanks mdonah, I took your advice and did a clean install. There was a problem with that too, but then I called Microsoft tech support, and with my permission, they remotely did the clean install for me. They quickly did a good job. So, problem solved.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds