Win32/virut - need help reinstalling

Discussion in 'Software' started by scarlettvendetta, Nov 13, 2009.

1. scarlettvendetta

scarlettvendetta Private E-2

I have the win32/virut virus and have done all the steps in the malware removal sticky thread, but it hasnt worked. Iam also unable to access the logs. I understand that my best option is to reformat my hard drive, however my computer came with windows vista pre loaded with no cd. So I have 2 questions...
    1 How do I reformat my hard drive
    2 How do I reinstall vista with no cd copy? I have the product key but thats it.

Just a note - I am unable to access the control panel it comes up with the message explorer.exe Application not found.

I'd apprecaite any and all help with this!

2. chaslang

chaslang MajorGeeks Admin - Master Malware Expert Staff Member

Re: Win32/virut

If you are sure you have a Virut infection then yes you do have to reinstall as there is no way to truly remove virut infections and have a reliable PC. You must delete partitions, recreate partitions, format and reinstall. You will need to get help on this in the Software Forum.

If you do not have an installation CD, or a factory restore CD, or a factory recovery CD, or you did not make recovery CDs as your PC manufacturer most likely informed you to do, then you will need call them to get a CD or purchase one. You can also ask about this in the Software Forum where I will move this thread to for you.

I changed the title of your thread to: Win32/virut - need help reinstalling

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds