Win7 Dialer

Discussion in 'Software' started by Anon-fe04a256cf, Feb 14, 2017.

1. Anon-fe04a256cf

Anon-fe04a256cf Anonymized

I am useing Win7 64Bit and I have the Dialer up.

I went through all the screens to set it up.
    My Area Code and so on.

I put in the Phone Number I want to Dial and Click Dial.

Nothing happens.
    So I try not typeing my Area Code in and still nothing happens.

Am I missing something?

2. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Post a screenshot of Device Manager.

3. Anon-fe04a256cf

I get no Error.
    I just go to Start Run Box and type Dialer and it opens.
    I do go to Tools then Open with.

I then go through all the setup optionns and get back to the Dialer.
    And no go.

I am useing a Wi Fi.
    But on my Andriod Tablet I have Dialer and can make phone calls and it goes throu my Wi Fi.

4. plodr

Eldon likes this.
  5. Anon-fe04a256cf

I have ComCast for Cable and my Phone.

We are not conected to the Phone Box outside.

The Cable comes into the Home and into the Cable Modem.

Then the Cable Modem has an RJ-12 Cord that goes from the Cable Moden to the Wall Jack.

So when I make a call from my Android Tablet it goes throught my Cable Box Modem because it is also the Wi Fi Router.
    Then to the Wall Jack.

And yes it is coming from my Home the Calls I make.

So I thought I can use my Desktop Computer since it is conected to the Router Wi Fi and use the Dialer that Win7 Has????????????????????

6. foogoo

foogoo Major "foogoo" Geek

Like plodr said the dialer in windows is for modems & old POTS (plain old telephone system) lines. There are no programs for PC, there are (as you found) apps for cell phones to use the your cable's VOIP service. I can't find anything on configuring a softphone for use with a cable provider's VOIP. I did the research because it would be neat to add to a computer. Just saying if you want to spend some time, might try it on an Android emulator?
    Back in the day you could use Talkworks or Ringcentral with a modem to make a PC telephone..but it would not be wireless...

Eldon likes this.
  7. plodr

You never posted a screenshot of Device manager as I requested.
    Dialer is used by a modem. Since most Windows 7 computers come without a modem installed, I wanted to check if your computer a) has a modem b) what brand and model.

The modem was used for 56K dialup internet When our electric goes down and takes the cable modem, internet and tv with it. I could get internet access through dialup. Because the computers no longer have modems, I dug out an old external USRobotics modem.
    It was painful just to get email to load!!!

8. Norgates

Norgates Corporal

Are Dial-up and Dialer the same thing? At least it sounds like the conversation going on here is cross-generational. Is Dialer up the right word, a technical app of Comcast or does this topic actually refer to the old dial-up modems?

9. plodr

OP is on Win 7. He said "I have the dialer up". If you type dialer in the run box in Win 7, you get dialer.exe.
    Just google dialer.exe and you'll see it refers to using an internal modem and a 56K connection.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds