Win7 Home Prem Re-installation & BSOD

Discussion in 'Software' started by Skinno, Jan 26, 2015.

1. Skinno

Skinno Private E-2

Hi Geeks,
    I've recently been thinking of reformatting my PC and reinstalling Windows 7 Home Premium Service Pack 1 on my System. I have had the computer since approx 2008 which I bought brand new from Dell and my set-up is thus:

Model: Dell Inspiron 570
    Processor: AMD Athlon II X4 630 Processor 2.80 GHz
    RAM: 4.00 GB
    System Type: 64-bit Operating System
    C Drive: 300 GB (and almost full)
    EXT HD: 2X 2TB HDs

My System has served me well with very few minor hiccups really and has been up and running in the same format since I bought it in 2008 but I believe it's now time to run a clean installation of Windows as despite using CCleaner and installing updates regularly it has become quite slow and a little bloated, I guess, over the years.

I have recently had a few BSOD episodes too. The most recent being this morning which said volsnap.sys. I don't know much about this but after Google-ing it, i believe it may possibly be related to my Avast! Security System or drivers. I dunno?

Anyway, I guess what I wanted to ask was....what is the best (and quickest) way to format/uninstall and re-install Windows Home Premium 7 64-bit on my system?
    Sadly, I can't find my original legit Windows disc that came with the computer but I do still have the original product Key number saved.

I guess I need an ISO image of Win 7 Home Prem 64-bit which I've seen kicking around online and also guess I need to buy a blank DVD to copy it onto?
    I do have a memory stick of 8 gig which someone said I can use as a flash drive???? to put an ISO on but this info left me clueless.

Any suggestions / help would be greatly appreciated.
    Many thanks in advance:
    Skinno

2. mdonah

mdonah Major Geek Extraordinaire

You can get a Windows 7 SP1 ISO from this page. Look for the 64-bit ISO. You'd then need to burn the ISO to a DVD.

You could also "burn" the ISO to a flash drive using something like ISO2Disc but, that would then require you to change the boot sequence in BIOS and I don't know if you're comfortable with doing that.

You say your hard drive is nearly full. Before you wipe/format the drive, you'd do well to get any important data files off of the internal hard drive and on to one or both of your external drives. The fact that there's limited free space on your internal hard drive could well be the reason for your slowdowns and possibly even your BSODs.

3. Skinno

Skinno Private E-2

Thanks for the info and apols for delay replying.
    My PC decided to pack in completely with a power issue and I have now bought a new one.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds