[win7] How Can I Change This Default Behaviour?

Discussion in 'Software' started by Shuriken UK, Nov 5, 2016.

1. Shuriken UK

Shuriken UK Private First Class

One thing thats a bit of a pain with Win7 (probably happens in previous OS's too) is that when you go into a folder and 'arrange by' whatever; depending on whether its ascending or descending order, it'll put all the folders at the bottom of the window where I don't want them. I know you can change to details mode, hold ALT, click an arrangement column, then go back into whatever view mode I was in and it'll keep the folders at the top where I want them but I don't want to do all of that, I just want a 1-click solution or a way to stop Win7 from behaving like this, permanently.

I want to make it so by default, all folders are ALWAYS at the top of any window at all times. Is this possible? Thanks!

2. Eldon

Eldon Major Geek Extraordinaire

I have never had this issue in Windows 7. Only in Windows XP.
    When you right-click > Arrange by > Folder, there's no Ascending/Descending.
    You only have Ascending/Descending in Sort by. Irregardless of which you select, the folders will be at the top.

3. Shuriken UK

Oops "Sort By" is what I meant, I can't even see an "arrange by" option. Say I have a folder full of music and about 10 other folders. I want to change the ascending/descending order of the files by clicking on the columns/tabs at the top, EG "date modified" but when I do this, the folders swap between top & bottom. The same happens if I right click in the window and choose 'sort by' date modified. Even the "ALT+Click" thing isn't working now. I probably forgot the shortcut...

4. Eldon

Click on the tab again.
    Tab_1.jpg Tab_2.jpg

5. Shuriken UK

It happens like in your example (the folders go from top to bottom when changing 'sort by' orders) but I want the folders to stay at the top no matter what.

I found the shortcut I mentioned anyway but it only works with 'date modified'. If you click the date modified tab, then shift+click the 'name' tab, it'll put the folders back up top. I wish there was a way to make this a default behaviour though.

6. Anon-c1150d5334

Anon-c1150d5334 Anonymized

Windows has a very basic file management system.
    If you want more capability, and it sounds like you do, you need to use another program.
    Try running the portable version of Explorer++ : http://portableapps.com/apps/utilities/explorerplusplus_portable
    to see if you like it.
    If you do and wish to use it full time, you can download the installed version from here: https://explorerplusplus.com/
    This is just one of the many file management programs that are available on the net for free.

7. Eldon

See if this works.
    Arrange by > Folder.

Folder.png

Last edited: Nov 8, 2016
  8. Shuriken UK

Thanks for the suggestion, but for some reason I don't have 'Arrange by' in my right click menu. Everything else is there though. I'll have a look in the folder options or properties, see if I can find a way to enable it somehow.

9. Eldon

'Arrange by' is only available if the folder is in one of your Library folders.
    Example: A folder on your Desktop doesn't have that option.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds