win7 install disk won't boot

Discussion in 'Software' started by judd, Aug 18, 2015.

1. judd

judd Private E-2

currently i am getting winload.exe missing or corrupt, status 0xc000000e, could not be loaded because the application is missing or corrupt, when trying to install Win7 home premium for distribution with pc.

i did set the bios boot order to DVD first.

This hard drive was previously loaded from the same Win7 DVD, it had a master file table corrupt. i put the drive in my other computer and used Sea Tools to recover files and check for disk errors. Sea Tools did not find any errors. This drive previously had severe malware issues, so i used CCleaner to wipe it. i reformatted it, installed in the original computer, but got bootmgr missing error. i put it back in the other machine and used bcdboot.exe to copy boot files into a new partion, then put it back into the first machine. Now i get winload.exe missing or corrupt error.

Obviously i have missed a step, but am not finding anything to explain it.

I seem to remember having to sign up with Microsoft as a computer builder to get something that allowed me to use the Win7 install for new computers instead of the retail version, but i don't remember what that was about.

2. DOA

DOA MG's Loki

When you boot up, does the DVD spin and lights flash like it's trying to load?
    Try unplugging your HDD(s), USB and other DVD drives so only the Win DVD is in the system and boot like that to test your DVD.

3. judd

judd Private E-2

I found my Windows OPK and generated a new win7 home premium image and answer file on a USB drive. i rebooted with the USB drive inserted, the dvd drive appeared to be operating for some significant amount of time, but then the installation appeared to hang, with just a blinking cursor and no messages.

Taking the hard drive out and examining it on the other computer showed some windows files were added, but it didn't finish and now i can't get it to even repeat that.

In the bios i have the drive set to ahci.

the dvd drive blinks before the bios starts ], but not after.

4. DOA

DOA MG's Loki

When you had the HDD out did you try to boot the DVD?
    If you cannot get the DVD to boot try to install from a USB drive.
    Does the computer still boot into Win 7, at least safe mode when the DVD is empty and no USB drives are installed?

5. judd

judd Private E-2

When you had the HDD out did you try to boot the DVD?
    i get a message to reboot and select proper boot drive.

If you cannot get the DVD to boot try to install from a USB drive.
    i copied the OEM Win7 installation disk to a USB drive and tried to boot from that. All i get is a blinking cursor, the DVD drive and USB lights blink forever (> a couple hours)

Does the computer still boot into Win 7, at least safe mode when the DVD is empty and no USB drives are installed?
    No, this drive had a corrupted Master File table, so i reformatted and wiped the empty space with Ccleaner. There is one active partion on the drive, i can see it on my working machine, but there are no files.

6. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

You do not copy a disk to a USB stick and expect it to boot because it will not.

This gets complicated if you want a bootable OS stick.
    1. You take the DVD and create an ISO for it.
    2. You make the USB stick bootable. In Windows, people mention Rufus. (I have never used it. I have 3 tools to make a stick bootable but there are specifically for linux, not Windows).
    3. You fire up Rufus and "write" the Windows ISO to the USB stick.

Again, I have never done this with a Windows OS so I can not tell you specific things to do.

https://rufus.akeo.ie/

7. judd

judd Private E-2

i'm having some confusion over the /m option of bcdboot.exe As far as i can tell, you have to enter a GUID to merge into the boot files of the disk under repair to make it bootable.

I used bootedit /enum to find the GUID on the c: drive of the working computer. Then installed the disk under repair into this computer as e: but when i run bcdboot c:windows /s e: /m { GUID ) it fails. running this command without specifying the GUID succeeds and boot files are created on the e: drive but it is not bootable.

8. judd

judd Private E-2

I made a bootable iso of the installation disk on a flash drive with winISO and rufus. This worked.

Apparently there is some issue with my optical drive, although it ran the cyberlink installation disk after i got windows running.

Thanks for getting me pointed in the right direction

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds