Win7 - llmnr & ws-discovery - info request

Discussion in 'Software' started by EssCee, Jul 17, 2013.

1. EssCee

EssCee Private E-2

Hi folks,

I'm using an Acer laptop with Win 7 Home Premium and ESET Smart Security 4. I connect to the 'net via wifi, and the only other machine permanently on the network (apart from my XP desktop, which is also wifi so I tend not to have it connected at the same time) is a Vista desktop.
    I'm fairly new to Win 7, and have noticed the following:
    Soon after I boot and open a browser, ESET firewall pops up a remote connection attempt from llmnr or ws-discovery (usually one after the other) from the Vista machine. I have no need to connect to the Vista box, so I select Deny (tho, until I understand it, it's always a temporary Deny).
    Shortly thereafter it appears that I no longer have an internet connection, although I can still ping the DNS server. I am aware that the two above named services are part of something called Network Discovery. I have disabled IPv6 on my laptop.

Can anybody tell me about Network Discovery, and also why I need it to surf?
    Is there any security risk associated with allowing those services?

2. EssCee

EssCee Private E-2

Anybody?

3. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

I'm not sure ESET Smart Security v4 is supported. Why are you running a version from 2010 instead of the current v6 (v 7 is beta)?
    I'm running v6 on an XP computer so I can't help with the firewall issue.

I have a PM in to someone who works at ESET to see if v4 is still supported. Once I get an answer, I might be able to find support documentation.

4. EssCee

EssCee Private E-2

Ok, thanks, but can you tell me about llmnr and ws-discovery? Why do they try to connect to me, and how do they affect internet connectivity?

5. EssCee

EssCee Private E-2

If nobody can help me re: this info, can anyone point me in the direction of a board / resource that can?

6. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

What Firewall does the Vista PC have installed?

Also in the Windows 7 PC is the Windows Firewall disabled? (it should be as you are running a 3rd party firewall and the two may conflict.

AS to what the two files are then this should answer you in some depth, WS-Discovery and llmnr

Do you have any network sharing enabled on these PCs?
    If all the PCs apart from the Windows 7 one are off, do you get the same message?
    If you allow it does your internet connection on Windows 7 work ok?

The one thing about using an older piece of software is that it may not be 100% compatible with the latest versions of Windows and Networking (internet and LAN/WAN) did change some permissions from Windows Vista to 7 for greater security, so version 4 of ESET may not be compatible with these settings, thus the messages,

You could try after the above info and questions, to run ESET v4 as an administrator (right click the shortcut and choose Run as Administrator)

7. unimatrix001

unimatrix001 Private E-2

8. plodr

I'm still waiting to hear from my source at ESET. When he contacts me, to let me know if v4 is still supported, I will post.

9. EssCee

EssCee Private E-2

Thank you folks.

I will take a look at the links.

The messages only pop up when the Vista PC is on. It's my parents' desktop, and I believe they are running ESET v3 (they don't like to change much). That said, I'm not sure if it's NOD or Smart Security.

I understand what you say about the changes to network permissions in Win 7.
    Windows 7 firewall is disabled, and if I temporarily allow the services, then there is no problem surfing.

To be honest, my main worry wasn't what ESET is doing, as I can just define a rule for the firewall to permanently allow the services in question. I was just wondering if I should...

10. DavidGP

Hi

I cannot see any issues cropping up by allowing this past the Firewall for a security reason as this is more networking between PCs, over external incoming access. As WS Discovery is kinda like one PC saying HI the other one then saying HI I'm here back.

Reason you are seeing this message from one PC to the next if multiple PCs are on is that networking uses TCP/IP to connect, which is no different to how you connect to the Internet.

Small bit of info, many years ago I started using a backup application Acronis and suddenly I was getting popups from my software firewall at the time, for a TCP/IP connecting, wondered why the app needed internet connection (apart from updates), seems when reading more, that the app could backup PCs on a network or to network aware storage. AH-HA

Is the Vista PC in a network connection with other PCs in the house? as in file sharing between PCs?

one quick question, are all the PCs in the house user name and password logons? or direct to desktop?

11. EssCee

EssCee Private E-2

No peer-to-peer or any other pc-pc connection that I know of. Fairly standard setup of one router with wifi, sharing the internet connection. Parents' Vista box has a password login, my Win 7 laptop does also.

12. DavidGP

Hi

Cheers for the info and great with using password access to accounts as it makes any networking share options harder for anyone to connect too, even if you see someone's network and click to connect, you have to add the user name and password to access it.

I would allow those files past your firewall software to save you the popup each time, but you could try and disable the File and Print sharing on the Vista PC and see if that stops the firewall message on your PC.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb727037.aspx

The menu page to look for is down at figure 4 and under Sharing and Discovery, just need to test by disabling File, Printer, Public and Media sharing and then see if you get the message still on those files and the internet works on all PCs.

13. plodr

This is what my contact at ESET said
    If you are concerned and live in North America, give then a call.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds