Win7 random shutdown & blue screen

Discussion in 'Software' started by Anon-9aee479f8f, Nov 29, 2011.

1. Anon-9aee479f8f

Anon-9aee479f8f Anonymized

Win7 has been randomly shutting down. Sometimes I get a blue screen and sometimes it gives me the black screen asking if I want to restart in safe mode or start windows normally.
    I used the HP Support Assistant Troubleshoot diagnostic tool ans everything passed the test. I have updated bios.
    I ran memtest86+ overnight and it showed no errors.
    I used BlueScreen after last bluescreen happen got a report. I have attached it.
    Can someone tell me what it means? Suggestions? Thanks

Attached Files:

2. cosmicma

cosmicma Private E-2

is your pc overclocked by any chance because that can cause the BSOD you describe

3. Anon-9aee479f8f

Honestly I know nothing about overclocking. Could you elaborate?

4. Anon-9aee479f8f

Just got another blue screen. Attaching file.

Attached Files:

5. cosmicma

cosmicma Private E-2

looking at the latest crash.txt file you posted it looks like you might have been affected with malware or a virus/trojan
    if you google rdpencdd.sys you will find a whole bunch of information and how to fix your problem

you need to type into google

rdpencdd.sys bsod win 7

if your using win 7 x64 home premium for example add that to the search or whatever variation of windows you are using to narrow down the search

a few of the antivirus and malware software companies have written a cure for this problem

6. falconattack

falconattack Command Sergeant Major

7. Anon-9aee479f8f

Thanks! Last night the random shutdowns went to being frequent shutdowns. So I may have a hard time doing test that take a long time to scan but I will give it a try.

I do have these programs installed and keep them updated and do the quick scans regularly, Malwarebytes Anti Malware, IObit Malware Fighter, SuperAntiSpyware, SpywareBlaster, Windows Firewall, Advance System Care, IObit Toolbox, Microsoft Security, and Secunia Personal Software Inspector.

8. Anon-9aee479f8f

OK retreived the last blue screen report from last night and attaching it. Then tried to do deep scan with Malwarebytes and after a couple minutes got another blue screen so will try to retreive it and send it next. Posting here from a different computer.

Attached Files:

9. iain.t

iain.t MajorGeek

I would suggest running malware scans in safemode.

10. Anon-9aee479f8f

Retreived this dump file then got another blue screen.
    Thanks, I will try doing deep scans in safe mode if I can.

Attached Files:

11. iain.t

iain.t MajorGeek

It sounds very much like a rootkit virus, you should be able to do the scans without BSOD in safemode. If not then I think you could be looking at a clean install of windows :(.

12. Anon-9aee479f8f

Malware scans using IObit and Malwarebites came out clean. Doing virus deep scan now.
    Can I make the Avira CD falconattack suggest on a different computer Win XP to run on the Win7 or does it have to be made on the Win7 pc?

13. Anon-9aee479f8f

I scanned in safe mode and it did not show anything on Win7 pc. Scanned my win xp to make sure it was clean and created a avira rescue cd. Then I booted my win 7 with it and ran the scan and there were no Suspicious, no Alerts, no Detections. There were warnings mostly media related or quarantines SuperAntiSpyware related.

I am on the win 7 pc now so guess I just wait for the next blue screen.

14. Anon-9aee479f8f

Everything worked good for five days between bluescreens. Then I got another blue screen. Attaching latest blue screen file.
    Suggestions?
    I appreciate your help.

Attached Files:

15. cosmicma

cosmicma Private E-2

because your getting different BSOD errors i would suggest you might have a bad memory stick
    if at all possible it might be a good idea to try some other memory of the same type to see if the problem stops
    or at least re seat your own memory sticks to make sure theyv'e not become dislodged in any way

16. Anon-9aee479f8f

Thanks for the suggestion. I will have to buy memory before I can try that. I did open up the case and cleaned out dust made sure the memory was seated well and checked to see if there were any obvious bulging capacitors or such and everything looks fine in there.

The suggestion to reinstall windows will be my last choice after trying every other thing that is suggested.

Suggestions of software for removal of Rootkit virus if that is the problem?
    Other suggestions?

Also attaching latest bluescreen.

Attached Files:

17. iain.t

iain.t MajorGeek

Before you go spending money on new Ram... run speccy for me.... Download the free, Speccy http://majorgeeks.com/Speccy_d6358.html then run Speccy and click File > Save as Text File, then attach the log as per instructions below (note: as Speccy also now lists more data it likely will have your Windows licence serial key also in the log, so look for Operating System and under that Serial Number and delete the code and Save the log)

Then attach your log to your next post as per these instructions http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=86880

Plus I have missed out the obvious of asking if we are dealing with a laptop or desktop machine?? this may also be a problem with your graphics card.

18. Anon-9aee479f8f

Thanks and it is a desktop.
    Attaching Speccy File.

Attached Files:

19. iain.t

iain.t MajorGeek

Hi thanks for the report .... looking at it rules out any overheating issues as your temps are perfect ;). by any chance you havent let windows update install a new driver for your gpu recently?? if so we need to remove those drivers and install the latest ones from the makers site....... please follow these set of instructions as best as possible...

1.) Download and "SAVE" do not run the new ATI Catalyst Driver....
    http://www2.ati.com/drivers/11-11_vista64_win7_64_dd_ccc_ocl.exe

2.) Download and install but DO NOT RUN yet... Driver Sweeper...
    http://www.google.com/url?q=http://...ds-cse&usg=AFQjCNFY0a1MZhy76pIjRDxVAj4MN9zJpg

3.) Uninstall the ati drivers/software from program and features.. restart your machine in "SAFEMODE".
    4.) You must only complete these steps in safemode.... open driver sweeper.. on the main screen in the left hand side you will be presented with a few options (note sample pic below). follow the same as that pic and when finished boot into normal windows ,click out of any found new hardware, and install the driver linked (#1).

Let me know how you get on ;)

20. cosmicma

cosmicma Private E-2

i take it the ram is a 2 gig and a 4 gig stick or if you have 3 2 gig sticks how are they configured ?
    are you running them on separate channels
    i'm pretty sure that if they are run in pairs they have to be matched

just a thought.....

21. iain.t

iain.t MajorGeek

sorry forgot to add pic :-o

[​IMG]

22. iain.t

iain.t MajorGeek

The OP is running 3 x 2GB sticks all matched....

Type DDR3
    Size 2048 MBytes
    Manufacturer Kingston
    Max Bandwidth PC3-10700 (667 MHz)
    Part Number HP497157-C01-ELDW

23. Anon-9aee479f8f

Thanks iain.t I will follow these steps and report back

cosmicma the memory is what was installed when I bought this HP PC new and I have not changed anything.

24. Anon-9aee479f8f

I uninstalled the ati drivers/software from program and features, restarted in safemode, opened driver sweeper and it showed no ati drivers. So I restarted normal windows. There was no new hardware installed showing up.

25. iain.t

iain.t MajorGeek

Ok.. thats good!! now you need to install the new ATi driver that you downloaded and saved earlier, just double click on the downloaded file and it should auto install the new catalyst control centre and this should resolve the ramdom shut downs.

26. Anon-9aee479f8f

OK installed. Do I need to do/set anything in the ADM Vision Engine Center Control it installed? Never seen that before.
    Thanks for your help. Much appreciated!!!

27. iain.t

iain.t MajorGeek

I would normally just leave it to its default settings, I would think that now you have the ccc it will auto set itself to required settings whilst in game play, though I am not certain of this as I am not a gamer!!!.
    Hopefully though it will have cured your shutdowns and BSoDs, also with it been an on-board vid chip it may not be getting enough power from the board to run resource hungry gameplay.

28. Anon-9aee479f8f

Thanks. I am not a game player, so that is not a problem. I only play simple games like Solitaire and Mahjong occasionally and they don't need power.:)

29. iain.t

iain.t MajorGeek

No problem ;), post back if you encounter the original issue again.

Good Luck ;)

30. Anon-9aee479f8f

PC worked great from 12/12/11 till last night then two more BlueScreens.
    Attaching files.

Thanks for any hep you can offer.

Attached Files:

31. tjmoes

tjmoes Private E-2

constantly getting bsod, last one was a rdpencdd.sys error have included speccy file named TED-6510

Attached Files:

32. tjmoes

tjmoes Private E-2

additional blue srn view txt file added

Attached Files:

33. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

tjmoes, this isn't your thread so please do not add your problem to katkat's thread.
    Start here: http://forums.majorgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21
    click the New Thread button near the top left and start your own problem thread.
    Also mention the brand and model of Win 7 computer, and when the problem started.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds