Win7 Recurring Bluescreen

Discussion in 'Software' started by seekgeek, Feb 12, 2012.

1. seekgeek

seekgeek Private E-2

OS Name Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium x64
    Version 6.1.7601 Service Pack 1 Build 7601
    PC: Acer Aspire X3400
    Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) II X2 215 Processor, 2700 Mhz

Hi all
    I'm a PC novice with little or no technical knowledge.

Anyhow... after performing ok for varying periods, the monitor screen goes fuzzy & I have to manually shut down the PC.
    Following that it frequently won't reboot so I've attempted a variety of Microsoft Fixes - none of which have helped.

BTW, it seems I should have (but didn't) do any backups plus the 'System Restore' function doesn't work.
    Acer didn't provide a Windows Installation Disk.

With the most recent bluescreen issue, I noted error code 0xc000000f

Problem signature:
    Problem Event Name: BlueScreen
    OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.768.3
    Locale ID: 2057

Additional information about the problem:
    BCCode: 3b
    BCP1: 00000000C0000005
    BCP2: FFFFF800035AC9BC
    BCP3: FFFFF88008EC5FC0
    BCP4: 0000000000000000
    OS Version: 6_1_7601
    Service Pack: 1_0
    Product: 768_1

Files that help describe the problem:
    C:\Windows\Minidump\021212-17565-01.dmp
    C:\Users\Tony\AppData\Local\Temp\WER-41777-0.sysdata.xml

I have a 'HijackThis' log and can provide it if necessary.

Any help would be appreciated.
    Thanks, Tony

2. kipfeet

kipfeet Corporal

Sounds as if it might be a hardware or environment problem, perhaps a bad connection to the monitor or overheating, etc. Are the fans running? Do they run faster just before the blue screen? I'm no hardware expert but someone on here is. If it is hardware you may have to go back to Acer for the fix. I suggest trying to get those backup disks made if you can. Good luck.

3. seekgeek

seekgeek Private E-2

I've no idea how to check fans but can hear a whirring noise at the back of the PC.
    At 50p per minute on the phone, Acer don't want to know since the PC is just over 1 year old.
    Presumably backing up now would be a waste of time given the existing problems.

Thanks anyway.

4. unimatrix001

unimatrix001 Private E-2

Just a thought i believe there is a memcheck on the f8 startup menu try running this and see if your memory is bad.

5. kipfeet

kipfeet Corporal

Sorry, for some reason I was thinking laptop instead of desktop.

By all means if you haven't done it check all your monitor to computer cable connections (take off and put back on). If your video card is separate from the motherboard pull it out and put it back in again.

After doing the above and the problem still exists can you temporarily hook up a different monitor to help isolate the problem to monitor or computer? If it's the computer, then it's the motherboard or the video card.

The above assumes a hardware problem of course. It could be something else, but I don't think so. Someone on here may prove me wrong.

Yes, OS backup disks may be superfluous if you think the box is headed for the dust bin, but by all means try to get your important data backed up if you can. And good luck again.

P.S. Unimatrix has a good point, too.

6. seekgeek

seekgeek Private E-2

Windows Memory Diagnostics Tool froze before completing test but this came as no surprise as the PC freezes in Safe Mode as well.

The monitor is new & connections are fine.

Any more ideas - given the specific error codes I provided in the opener? Also, should I also supply a HijackThis log which is more specific?

Last edited: Feb 12, 2012
  7. Caliban

Caliban I don't need no steenkin' title!

Greetings, seekgeek, and welcome to MajorGeeks...

Please do not post a HijackThis log, as LauraR advised against doing in this thread...

However, you might try posting a couple of your most recent minidump files. Please zip a couple of the most recent files located in your C:\Windows\Minidump\ folder and attach them to your next post per these instructions: HOW TO: Attach Items To Your Post...

One or more of our resident Blue Screen analysts will then be able to look at your files, maybe give some direction as to repairing your machine...

8. Caliban

Also, for future reference, the following are links to various drivers for the Aspire X3400:

Chipset, Video, Audio, Modem, TV Tuner, and User Guide - you might want to grab them at some point to have on file...

9. seekgeek

seekgeek Private E-2

Ok, Attached are 2 most recent minidump files as requested.
    Thank you.

Attached Files:

10. satrow

satrow Major Geek Extraordinaire

If Caliban was referring to me as an expert - I'm very flattered - but I'm not!

A quick few comments, as I'm busy for a while:
    Update the nvidia storage (SATA etc.) drivers AND video drivers - http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx,
    update the fingerprint scanner drivers - http://www.egistec.com/en/index.aspx,
    update the Realtek HD audio drivers - http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/downloadsView.aspx?Langid=1&PNid=8&PFid=14&Level=3&Conn=2,

It feels like a bad driver or memory problems, run Memtest86+ for 7+ passes, I'd also check the drive SATA cables are good and well connected and run chkdsk /r /f on the drive (some tutorials over at Caliban's site if needed).
    Code:
    *******************************************************************************
    *                                                                             *
    *                        Bugcheck Analysis                                    *

Use !analyze -v to get detailed debugging information.

BugCheck 3B, {c0000005, fffff800035ac9bc, fffff88008ec5fc0, 0}

Probably caused by : Pool_Corruption ( nt!ExDeferredFreePool+100 )

Followup: Pool_corruption
    ---------

0: kd> !analyze -v
    *                        Bugcheck Analysis                                    *

SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION (3b)
    An exception happened while executing a system service routine.
    Arguments:
    Arg1: 00000000c0000005, Exception code that caused the bugcheck
    Arg2: fffff800035ac9bc, Address of the instruction which caused the bugcheck
    Arg3: fffff88008ec5fc0, Address of the context record for the exception that caused the bugcheck
    Arg4: 0000000000000000, zero.

Debugging Details:
    ------------------

EXCEPTION_CODE: (NTSTATUS) 0xc0000005 - The instruction at 0x%08lx referenced memory at 0x%08lx. The memory could not be %s.

FAULTING_IP: 
    nt!ExDeferredFreePool+100
    fffff800`035ac9bc 4c8b02          mov     r8,qword ptr [rdx]

CONTEXT:  fffff88008ec5fc0 -- (.cxr 0xfffff88008ec5fc0)
    rax=fffffa8003657680 rbx=0000000000000000 rcx=fffffa8003657680
    rdx=007d004500350044 rsi=0000000000000000 rdi=fffff8a002797e30
    rip=fffff800035ac9bc rsp=fffff88008ec69a0 rbp=0000000000000000
     r8=007d004500350044  r9=fffff8a0027308f0 r10=0000000000000000
    r11=0000000000000000 r12=fffffa8003657140 r13=0000000000000000
    r14=000000000000001e r15=0000000000000001
    iopl=0         nv up ei pl zr na po nc
    cs=0010  ss=0018  ds=002b  es=002b  fs=0053  gs=002b             efl=00010246
    nt!ExDeferredFreePool+0x100:
    fffff800`035ac9bc 4c8b02          mov     r8,qword ptr [rdx] ds:002b:007d0045`00350044=????????????????
    Resetting default scope

CUSTOMER_CRASH_COUNT:  1

DEFAULT_BUCKET_ID:  VISTA_DRIVER_FAULT

BUGCHECK_STR:  0x3B

PROCESS_NAME:  svchost.exe

CURRENT_IRQL:  0

LAST_CONTROL_TRANSFER:  from 0000000000000000 to fffff800035ac9bc

STACK_TEXT:  
    fffff880`08ec69a0 00000000`00000000 : 00000000`00000000 00000000`00000000 00000000`00000000 00000000`00000000 : nt!ExDeferredFreePool+0x100

FOLLOWUP_IP: 
    nt!ExDeferredFreePool+100
    fffff800`035ac9bc 4c8b02          mov     r8,qword ptr [rdx]

SYMBOL_STACK_INDEX:  0

SYMBOL_NAME:  nt!ExDeferredFreePool+100

FOLLOWUP_NAME:  Pool_corruption

IMAGE_NAME:  Pool_Corruption

DEBUG_FLR_IMAGE_TIMESTAMP:  0

MODULE_NAME: Pool_Corruption

STACK_COMMAND:  .cxr 0xfffff88008ec5fc0 ; kb

FAILURE_BUCKET_ID:  X64_0x3B_nt!ExDeferredFreePool+100

BUCKET_ID:  X64_0x3B_nt!ExDeferredFreePool+100

Followup: Pool_corruption
    ---------

11. seekgeek

seekgeek Private E-2

Thanks however as I mentioned earlier I'm a novice with very little IT experience and I'm afraid you've lost me on a few points.

I looked at the links for drivers but don't know which ones to opt for.

The Acer site seems to offer simpler choices; http://support.acer.com/product/default.aspx?modelId=2219
    ... so should I attempt to update them from that site instead & if so, which ones?

Downloaded memtest86+-4.20.iso but what to do with it? Should I try to burn it onto a disk or something?

chkdsk ran but neither /r or /f would work.

Confusion mounts!

12. satrow

No worries,

If the drivers at Acer are more recent than the ones on your PC and/or drivers CD (they should be), yes, you can try them.

Memtest needs to burnt to a CD, it's an image file so it needs to be done correctly to be of any use; those details are all given on Caliban's site, linked earlier. Methods to check your disk(s) are also walked through by Caliban lower down the same page.

13. seekgeek

seekgeek Private E-2

I updated the following;
    NVIDIA Motherboard & Graphics Drivers
    Realtek Audio Driver
    Modem Drivers

Regards downloading 'fingerprint scanner drivers' the EgisTec website offers the following 7 downloads but I don't know which one/s are needed. Please advise;

EgisTec Protection Suite
    EgisTec Shredder
    MyWinLocker
    Port Locker
    BioExcess
    UniQFace
    Product Updates

An initial pass of memtest86+ resulted in no memory issues found. I'll run a further 6 or so passes later.

Per Caliban's site tutorial I ran the following;
    System File Checker (SFC)
    Result= Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations.

Disk Error Checker (CHKDSK) was also run.

Now what should I do? Thanks.

14. satrow

Regarding the fingerprint scanner drivers: going by the names shown, I'd have no clue either ;) (well, possibly MyWinLocker - but if Acer didn't use the full product, extracting the drivers in a usable format could be tricky) Do they show up anywhere on the Acer downloads for your computer?

Keep trying with the MemTest when you have a few hours, overnight is good.

As you've now updated some possible triggers for the BSOD's, it's time to just use the computer as normal and wait for another crash, if it occurs, upload the dump so we can check for any further details that might help nail it.

15. seekgeek

seekgeek Private E-2

Good stuff satrow.

I do have MyWinLocker which is just a trial program so I'll delete it from control panel if appropriate. Please let me know what you feel.

MemTest will be pursued as suggested & I'll report findings in a few days.

Gladly, in the meantime no crashes have occurred during the past 24 hours so the prospects of success appear far better now... well at least to this PC illiterate they do!

Thanks for all the help provided in this thread to date.
    Regards, Tony

16. satrow

You can certainly uninstall the MyWinLocker if you don't use it - the fingerprint reader is just dead weight if you don't use it as well, if it's still looks like it might be a problem in the future, we'll see if there's a way to disable it and prevent the drivers from being loaded.

Good luck with it Tony, we're always pleased to see progress being made, maybe the fix has already been done ;)

17. seekgeek

seekgeek Private E-2

Oops - Maybe I spoke too soon.

First, MyWinLocker Suite wouldn't delete. I'd tried disabling it in startup programs & deleting it in Safe Mode, downloading EgisTec's own uninstaller, even tried the PC Decrapifier from this site. Nothing worked & I noted on the
    net that others had experienced similar problems with this pre-loaded program.

Anyhow, today during startup the pc power button flashed intermittently & tight bands of coloured lines appeared on the screen (this had also occurred a number of times previously leading up to the blue screen event.)

So... I had to manually shut down & reboot in Safe Mode.
    On loading drivers in SM, it stopped at Windows\... Drivers\ClassPNP.sys if that means anything at all.

From there I performed System Restore to a point yesterday from before I'd attempted to remove MyWinLocker however the System Restore failed.

At least I'm temporarily up & running to send this report & wonder what more can be done to fix these issues. Erk!
    :confused

18. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

It' been that way for years from all manufacturers.

First, please buy some DVDs and make your restore/recovery disks. That is the first thing I do before I remove or add anything.
    Start/All Programs/Acer/Acer eRecovery Management

19. seekgeek

seekgeek Private E-2

I had done that a while ago but am seriously hoping it won't be necessary to revert the pc back to factory default settings, hence lose all my programs etc.

20. satrow

I don't understand why the attempted uninstall of a piece of maker-installed, unused trialware should stop you booting. If that's all that was involved, it really should be taken up strongly with the makers, Acer.

How is the laptop now?

21. seekgeek

seekgeek Private E-2

Yes well I've successfully deleted MyWinLocker at last however whatever the problem was, it's still occurring - therefore MWL presumably wasn't the cause of these intermittent shutdowns with associated inability to reboot.

Something about 'dumping physical memory to disk' was seen on the last freeze/shutdown/startup but it was too quick for me to note down any error numbers.

I tried Microsoft Fix It tools in Safe Mode which stated that MS Update was 'not fixed' but when I managed to re-boot in normal mode it did work.

If nobody has further suggestions to add about these freezes, I'll run the memtest then try to save my data prior to an attempt to re-install Windows from the disks I made if you think that may help.

22. satrow

That reads like you should have another dump to upload ;)

23. seekgeek

seekgeek Private E-2

I provided the most recent two & there are no newer minidumps I'm afraid.

On another note (as mentioned in my post just below) according to MS 'Fix It' the Windows Updates Components were not fixed. When I successfully booted & checked, Update showed the green crest badge with a tick mark & stated 'Windows is up to date.' Nevertheless when I clicked the 'Check for updates' tab to the left... there were 9 important/recommended updates waiting. I downloaded them & rebooted to find there were yet another 2 waiting to install! Following that palava I ran the MS 'Fix It' again which THIS time stated that Update Components were 'Fixed'

What a pain but I'm wondering if this suppression/prevention of MS updates by unknown causes - might have a bearing on recent problems. Any ideas on that? :confused

Last edited: Feb 15, 2012
  24. satrow

It's not unknown for little errors to block updates being shown, installing a few updates might then reverse the errors and the next update will show new 'old' updates, if you follow.

Check your settings for saving memory dumps are still as they should be, checkout Caliban's tutorial for the details, at least you'll see the full data on screen to write up longhand or to grab a photo of.

25. seekgeek

seekgeek Private E-2

satrow..

I set it to save minidumps prior to the most recent crash but there are no new logs?!

System Repair disk failed & other internal pc tests have resulted in hardware failure.
    Another diagnosis: Boot manager generic failure 0x000000f and 'System files integrity check & repair result: Failed, error code = 0x490

Acer were totally unhelpful yet again (despite the pc having been returned for repair twice before with hardware faults faults) so following a heated discussion, the retail supplier has begrudgingly agreed to accept return of this white elephant and credit me in full. A great relief I must say!

To replace this, I'm considering getting an HP Pavilion G6 / 1309SA. What are your feelings about that product? I understand HP's after-sales service is quite good & it couldn't be worse than Acer's for sure.

I'm sending this message right now before the bloody box blinks out on me again!

Anyhow, thanks immensely for all your efforts to resolve these difficulties.

Regards, Tony :)

26. satrow

Ok Tony, good that you can return it with full credit :)

I really have no experience of that model. The only thing I will say is that HP have a reputation for using non-standard or modified hardware (as do most of the OEM's), usually, that's no big deal.

When the new PC arrives, login and do what Plodr suggested back in #18 before you do any umm, tweaking ;) make the recovery discs and put them away somewhere safe!

27. Caliban

FYI: I've noticed that HP support has improved recently - I'm basing this observation on both my own experiences and by reading web reports...

Good luck to you! :major

28. seekgeek

seekgeek Private E-2

Well that's a promising remark. I'll log in with the new pc in a week or so & hopefully grab some further expertise on precisely what I should do prior to loading any programs.

This certainly appears to be a pretty friendly site so congrats & thanks again for everyone's help.
    :-D

29. Caliban

Good morning...

Sounds good - just make sure that there is some sort of antivirus protection loaded on the machine before connecting to the internet, and pay attention to any prompts about making recovery disks...

Best support forum on the 'net - good people...:major

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds