win7 system image on xp hdd

Discussion in 'Software' started by alex60, Apr 1, 2012.

1. alex60

alex60 Private E-2

Hello guys. I was given a laptop with an oem version of win7 pro installed. It is genuine and has a genuine product key. Now I’ve created a system image by burning it onto 4 dvds using windows inbuilt system image application and also a bootable system repair disc. My main desktop pc which I use all the time has win xp pro. Is it possible to install the win7 disc image onto my win xp pc? I was thinking about buying a win 7 installation disc and upgrading from xp but if I can format my main hdd that has xp installed and replace it with the win 7 image that would be ideal. As I said I was given the laptop by a family member who bought it a couple of years ago and has now replaced it with a better one. I would really like win 7 on my main pc so I hope this is possible. If it can be done I’d have to boot from cd in the bios but which of the dvd’s should I install first? I’m pretty sure it would be the system repair disc which would give me the option of installing from disc image in the menu. Would I then run the other 4 dvds to install the image? If it works would I need to reactivate win7? Any info would be very much appreciated
    Cheers guys.:)

2. brownizs

brownizs MajorGeek

I would do it under a Virtual Machine, or use Windows 7 with the XP as a VM, or use XP mode with 7. I like 7 over XP, due to it has better memory management, etc. compared to XP. There is also a lot of hardware that did not work with XP, that people have found out will work with 7.

BTW, 7 is what I consider will be the last of the real OS's, due to after 8, 9 will be a cloud based OS, such as how Google's Chrome OS is.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds