Win7 woes - from vista

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by danielbu, Jul 30, 2012.

1. danielbu

danielbu Private E-2

Here's the problem: a family computer with 4 users that ran vista home premium. Dead motherboard. Removed hard drive from old computer. New computer - running win7 home ultimate 64 bit. I can't transfer using the Windows transfer tool, b/c I don't have 2 computers, I have one computer and one hard drive attached by a cable.

How do I transfer things like user settings, mozilla histories, gchrome histories, etc? The kids' Itunes?! (I HATE Itunes!)

2. cabbiinc

cabbiinc Staff Sergeant

You're essentially asking how you get your old hard drive's "stuff" onto your new hard drive. You could try intsalling the old HDD into the new computer as a slave drive to your current HDD. Keep the currently working HDD right where it is, and just put the old HDD into your new "computer", connecting the power and communications cable. If it recognizes it you will have a secondary drive show up and you can use it as a second drive as well.

If this doesn't work, or you don't have the same cables from your HDD to your new motherboard then you may be kind of stuck. More info would be needed to help any further. Motherboard specs, old HDD specs.

3. danielbu

danielbu Private E-2

Right, but what I'm interested in is moving user data - so that the kids will not have to go searching around for their documents, and especially their music. Not to mention user profiles from web browsers...

4. collinsl

collinsl MajorGeek

Once you have the hard drive mounted inside the computer (or via an external enclosure if you so wish), you can copy the folders for the things you want from the old hard drive to the new one. Google for the standard locations of each folder under both operating systems (Win 7 and Vista).

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds