Win7 x32 drivers

Discussion in 'Software' started by Torchwood75, Feb 11, 2014.

1. Torchwood75

Torchwood75 Private E-2

I have a HP Pavilion 23 b012 All In One pc that had Windows 8 on it. I hate 8 so I put Windows 7 Professional (32 bit) on it, but now I'm finding that there are no drivers for the Ethernet Controller for x86? Is there anyone that can help or point me to where I could find those drivers?

2. ChristineBCW

ChristineBCW Corporal

Can you give us a link into your HP support site? If HP's offering confusing alternatives, we might often best-guesses on which to try. Or at least try first.

HP might offer some kind of unit-ID or model-submodel ID option that might be readable on the PC's case (back? bottom?). That can be critical because HP had used various chipsets within the same Case Model Number.

Short of that, perhaps Windows Device Manager might identify the LAN chipset (under Network Adapters) but this might be a long shot since Win7's installation didn't seem to detect it in the first place.

(Does anyone recall seeing a brand-new ethernet chipset ONLY for Win8? So new that it's only showing up in Win8 machines? Some new Realtec or new Intel model set - so new that no generic Realtek or Intel LAN driver from Win7 could access it?)

Last edited: Feb 11, 2014
  3. Torchwood75

Torchwood75 Private E-2

Thank you very much for your response. From what I can see, It's a Realtek RTL8175EH-VB-CG. The system specs I found also say 'Co-layout support for Realtek RTL8111F Gigabit Ethernet controller'.

Now when I actually do go to the HP support site, it says they have no drivers for Windows 7, I guess the model only shipped with 8. And if I do searches for drivers, I can only seem to find ones for Win7 x64.

I don't care for these All In One systems, I'm just doing a favor for a friend and trying to get them to Windows 7 since we both don't like windows 8.

4. ChristineBCW

ChristineBCW Corporal

You MIGHT try googling first the Realtek RTL8111F, and then the RTL817 and see what happens. (I'd consider appending additional numbers to that "817...", one character at a time. The EH, VB and CG are probably vendor or assembly designations.

In any google (or try Bing - Steve Ballmer LOVES Bing, after all-!!) response, I'd be looking for "HP" first, then "Realtek" formally, then "Dell", maybe "Gateway". Toshiba and Sony might have something like this, but Sony often poisons their drivers with very specific "This is for SONY" IDs that can't be edited out.

IF you find some, download and install one at a time, then reboot and see if any behavior change occurs.

If not, UNINSTALL immediately. You should not load up your system with failed LAN drivers because Windows might waste time and resources spinning in their mud, so to speak. I'd consider rebooting after uninstalls, too. This is NOT a quick and easy process UNLESS you get lucky on the first one.

Just think of it as "the payback gets better'n better" from that pal of yours. Multiple lobster dinners... a great steak and a good bottle of cabernet sauvignon...

5. ChristineBCW

ChristineBCW Corporal

Here's a page from RealTek that lists the RTL811F as well as an 816. NOT the 817, but I notice the specific 811F designator AND that this driver-set includes a large numeric range of other models.

That makes it interesting.

But maybe not correct!

6. ChristineBCW

ChristineBCW Corporal

Here's another page that a download-central place, claiming Win7 support for the RTL8175.

Other sites that offered this download wants to force you to use their Download Manager. That's a huge red-flag to me - those antics could easily install malware or "phone home" cookie-crap. I avoid those and keep looking elsewhere.

But ALL of these non-name-brand sites can be dodgy. Be very careful.

7. ChristineBCW

ChristineBCW Corporal

It is certainly queer that Realtek.COM knows "RTL8111F" but it doesn't acknowledge "RTL8175" . Very strange.

8. Torchwood75

Torchwood75 Private E-2

Ah Christine you're a life saver. With all of this info to work with I'm sure to find what I need. It's funny, I've never had this much trouble with a NIC before. I don't know if they make these All In One systems different than a normal PC, but I know I don't like messing with them.

Perhaps I should owe you the multiple lobster dinners for all the help you've been. I do live in MA so I have my connections.

9. ChristineBCW

ChristineBCW Corporal

Ah ha! (Note to all other Care Providers here - NOW we're gettin' somewhere! LOBSTERS!!)

I swear... the computer industry is soooo retarded. We should have had FTP worked out decades ago. The Food Transport Protocol. None of this silly streaming-video crap - let's get REAL downloads going-!

I don't think it's so much an All-In-One, per se, but a constant "newly developed chipset" being sold to board-assemblers. (Just don't ask WHY a new 10-100-1000 Gigabit LAN chipset is needed! Except maybe reduced power... but even then, just how much lower can we go?)

Each newly-assembled product though will more likely include a new chipset needing a new generation driver, and those designers won't spend a minute 'going backward' to re-define a driver. Even though 2-3 minutes is about all it'd take, per OS level in Windows.

The All In One probably doesn't benefit THAT much from the newest micro-iota power savings, though. A new notebook or tablet or smartphone might.

But if I manufacturered 100,000 of these chipsets and only 90,000 were being sold to tabs and phones, "Whatcha gonna do?" Sell 'em cheap to whatever computer-assembler will pay the price. HP All In One, in this case.

For what it's worth - Win8 and 8.1 are the first DownGrade Marketed OS's I've ever seen. This has been quietly offered in previous OS's to biz customers and mass-licensings, but in the past two months, I see newspaper ads trumpeting this - OfficeDepot, Fry's, Best Buy's - all offering "Downgrade licenses" from Win8.

I can't think of a sharper stake-thru-the-heart of any company's software line than that.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds