1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Win8 Infection: RogueKiller found PUM.HJ DESK

Discussion in 'Malware Removal' started by goldcakes, Oct 25, 2013.

1. goldcakes

goldcakes Private E-2

Hi Guys,

My Toshiba Portege laptop running Win 8.0 has been experiencing extremely slow startup, failure to install Windows updates, and refusal to install MalwareBytes. So I ran all the recommended malware scans, and RogueKiller found a PUM called HJ DESK.

Logs attached.

Help MUCH appreciated!!

Attached Files:

2. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

Nothing to worry about. ;)

You can rerun Hitman and remove all the PUP's.
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2013
  3. goldcakes

goldcakes Private E-2

OK, I did that, but RogueKiller was the only one to find anything of consequence. OK to run that for removal?

Also, would the PUM called HJ Desk be capable of causing the symptoms (slowwww startup > 4 minutes, Windows Update issues)?
  4. goldcakes

goldcakes Private E-2

Aha. I read on another site that "HJ Desk" is just a program that is running from the desktop. True?
  5. chaslang

chaslang MajorGeeks Admin - Master Malware Expert Staff Member

No! That would be HijackThis.exe. What RogueKiller is tell you is not a problem. It is just pointing these changes from Windows defaults to make sure that no malware has made changes. PUM = Potentially Unwanted Modification. Most people do not use pure Windows defaults. Just about everyone tweaks things to run the way they want them to.