Win98 Expansion Port Type

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by HarryPotter, Jul 1, 2017.

1. HarryPotter

HarryPotter MajorGeek

I need to get an LPT card for my Win98 PC and don't know what type of expansion connection I need. How do I find out?

2. Eldon

Eldon Major Geek Extraordinaire

3. HarryPotter

HarryPotter MajorGeek

I'll try that. Is there any way I can verify that?

4. Imandy Mann

Imandy Mann MajorGeekolicious

Look at the LPT device. Identify it's communication connection. Get a card (and cable) that matches.

5. HarryPotter

HarryPotter MajorGeek

Uhh...I don't know how: the connection is internal to the computer. :(

6. Imandy Mann

7. HarryPotter

HarryPotter MajorGeek

The model is Dell Dimension V400. The purpose is to add an LPT port for the transfer of data between the PC and an old computer: I have an external parallel Zip100 drive, and I want to use both at the same time. I hope this helps. :)

8. Imandy Mann

Take a look at this page

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=corp&sku=a6456151

Read through the description and look at the images. You can see the cable end connector and also the card edge where it plugs into the motherboard. PCI e slotted. You'll need to open the computer to see if you have an empty slot that matches those on the card. But I did find it searching your model.

Description includes working for older printers, zip drives and others.

9. HarryPotter

HarryPotter MajorGeek

I thank you for your input. I'm afraid of opening the computer, but I do think I have an empty slot. :) BTW, I have a source who will give one to me with just shipping and handling. Is it really PCI?

10. Imandy Mann

Watch this video. And a few more informative videos are in the video chain that comes up next. You'll see the importance of seeing and knowing whats inside your computer's case.

11. foogoo

foogoo Major "foogoo" Geek

Using an old zip drive? Wow hope the data is not important. How close are these dinosaurs? Guessing no network interface cards (NICS) in these systems. If they still have modems you could transfer that way. http://www.jagshouse.com/modem.html

12. HarryPotter

HarryPotter MajorGeek

Uhh...I don't understand. I am using an old zip drive, and the data on them is replaceable. I don't understand how a modem will help me out, as I am using an actual drive. If you're talking about my reason for this thread, it is a special setup where the PC will be serving as a server to a very old computer, and, as such, a modem won't work.

BTW, the client computer is a Commodore 64C, and I'll be using a 64HDD as the server's driver.

13. Eldon

Eldon Major Geek Extraordinaire

LPT refers to a parallel port.
    How are you going to install the card without opening the computer?
    You must hope it is...
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conventional_PCI

14. HarryPotter

HarryPotter MajorGeek

I can't install the device without opening the computer. I plan on hiring somebody else to do it for me, along with other equipment.

BTW, I already know that LPT is parallel. I basically need a new LPT port for a special networking project.

Now come to think of it, I really won't need it at that time, because the external parallel Zip100 drive can be replaced with an internal one, so I won't need the device, but I want to get one anyway. ;)

15. foogoo

foogoo Major "foogoo" Geek

Because, you want to transfer files between 2 computers, right? You are using a parallel ZIP drive, right? So right now you are using a 'sneaker net' to move data, when you could use a modem. See modems are used to transfer data between computer too - via a 'network', in this case you could use a phone line between the computers (as described in the article) Commodres did have terminals with xmodem, and Windows has Hyperterm with xmodem.
    I was working on the
    issue, bypassing the acient ZIP drive, that is all. No extra hardware (if you have a modem) no opening the PC. Just a suggestion.

16. HarryPotter

HarryPotter MajorGeek

My current network is through a serial connection; the C64 has no modem, and modem transfers are too slow, anyway. I'm thinking about just unplugging the drive for the C64 network and plugging it back in when I'm done. :)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds