WIN98 not releasing resources

Discussion in 'Software' started by drgnrider, Sep 14, 2003.

1. drgnrider

drgnrider Private E-2

I am running WIN98, Pent-3, 352M RAM

Can anyone explain why and a possible solution:
    As programs are closed they do not fully release resources until I reboot. Logging out only restores some of the resources, but not all and Norton A/V does not come back.

At one point after all programs were closed, I only had 7% free and nothing would open, I had to reboot.

2. da chicken

da chicken MajorGeek

3. drgnrider

drgnrider Private E-2

Thanks folks,

Not sure which version of WIN98 (CD and "About" do not say). My A/V is Norton 2003, Defs are up to date; running Norton System Works; HD is only 9% fragmented; Office 2000 SB; and Adaware weekly.

I have gotten the memory defraggers & the article, will check them out and let ya know if it helps.

4. Aurelius

Aurelius Private First Class

Few programs return resources after they are closed. The most notorius are called resource hogs, among which belong Microsoft Office programs, multiple open windows in Internet Explorer, all 16-bit programs, etc. First of all disable FastFind and Office Startup, as they are system parasites (in case you have installed them).

9% fragmentation means highly fragmented drive.

I don't think that memory optimizers can free resources, they only free the memory.
    The best way to get your resources back is restart/reboot.
    Also, clean and defragment your disk.

5. da chicken

da chicken MajorGeek

Well, few programs under Win98 free up resources (aka close "nice"). Under more modern kernels like Windows 2k/XP, Linux, or Mac OS X, the kernel more actively recovers memory that is no longer in use.

You probably won't have this sort of difficulty in XP/2k, but the old method of DOS + GUI was very messy. Especially by the end when Windows really started to try to control the system in spite of DOS's best efforts.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds