win98 on old machine

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Novus Natio, Apr 10, 2007.

1. Novus Natio

Novus Natio Private E-2

i recently built an old computer and was going to use it as a play server. at first i was going to use freebsd, but all my floppys are messed up and i dont have a cd burner. i was going to use the floppys to do a network install. then i decided to use an old copy of win98 that i have. well, it goes into dos mode (i think its dos anyways) and i get "a:>". i tried switching to the c drive by typing c:>. i tried c:., c, cd c, cd c:, cd c:>, pretty much any way to change directories, i tried. then i tried drive d. and cddrive. and cdrom. when i turn the machine on and its detecting devices, it detects my hdd (quantum bigfoot tx 8). do you think if i hook that hdd up to this machine and format it something may work differently?

EDIT: i just realized this is in the hardware section. perhaps it should go in the software section? if any mods see this would you move it please?)

2. InYearsToCome

InYearsToCome MajorGeek

Most Linux distro's are available shipped to your house on CD's or DVD's for free or very little charge (to cover shipping). Otherwise, without a valid install disk, you are going to run into lots of trouble (especially formatting on another machine and switching over, as lots of drivers are loaded during setup)

3. ItsWendy

ItsWendy MajorGeek

I'm assuming you have a floppy drive, 3.5". You need it to load the DOS, which will load the Win98SE directory from the CD. You do have a Win98SE disc I assume. If you need the safe floppy you can get it from a friend with 98, this is to bring the CD drive up in DOS mode.

I add these files onto the safe diskette.

Deltree.exe
    Edit.com
    Edit.hlp
    Format.com
    Xcopy.exe
    Xcopy32.exe
    Xcopy32.mod

This is so I can move the cab files from the CD onto the HD, and install from the hard drive. It is also handy because, as far as Windows is concerned, your Win98SE CD is on the hard drive. Just point to the c:\win98se files when it asks for the Win CD.

Here's the DOS command sequence (e: drive is the CD drive, usually because windows uses D:\ is the RAM drive off a floppy boot).

xcopy32 e:\win98se c:\win98se /s/e
    c:\
    cd win98se
    setup

After the xcopy32 command the computer will respond with <directory> or <files>?

Select Directory.

4. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

Hey man start at the beginning
    If you are controlling the pc from a floppy and it does not recognise the C drive, which you know is connected then you have no partitions on you hard drive.

So first use Fdisk to create a partition
    Then use Format to format it
    Then you will see the cdrive (type C: at the a> prompt)

Studio T

5. Novus Natio

Novus Natio Private E-2

ill try to add a partition. maybe that is the problem.

6. Novus Natio

Novus Natio Private E-2

that was the problem. but the disk is scratched. so yea, i need to find a good repair method.

7. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

Which disk?

Microsoft will happily exchange a damaged valid Windows disk.

Studio T

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds