Win98SE Download

Discussion in 'Software' started by Whovian33, Jul 16, 2006.

1. Whovian33

Whovian33 Private First Class

Been looking for the Unofficial Win98SE version on majorgeeks.com because I've seen it there before--I think I need it to restore files I got carried away with on RegCleaner (in particular, audio and audio icon) Can someone help me out? Whovian33 whiteturtle33@basicisp.net

2. ASUS

ASUS MajorGeek

3. Whovian33

Perhaps you misunderstood--I searched majorgeeks.com downloads through well into 3/06 without finding it; I've seen it there before, but now it's gone as far as I know. Whovian33

4. bigbazza

bigbazza R.I.P. 14/12/2011 - Good Onya Geek

You might try SFC (system file checker) as well.
    Start-->Run
    Type in SFC <enter>.
    Have the genuine MS W98 CD handy to carry out restoration of critical files.
    If you do not feel confident of making the correct decision from the choices provided, tick IGNORE, and continue.
    Write down the names of those you decide to IGNORE as a reference.
    As you gain confidence, run SFC more than once, until all programs have been fixed. Bazza

===

5. Whovian33

Thank you for responding--I hope your info works. I'll get in touch with my local computer guy and see about a copy and get this resolved; my wife misses her Yahoo Messenger (another file that that got skewered). Whovian33

6. Whovian33

I tried, Bigbazza, but it was not to be. I thought I had a Win98 CD, but it is either lost or can't find it... my biggest problem is getting audio files back so that MediaPlayer will work along with other things that use sound.
    Is there a download to restore audio files for this? I think a Win95 download would work since these are standard files. Anyone have suggestions? Thanks. Whovian33

7. theefool

theefool Geekified

Do you have a sound card? Or is this onboard audio? Either/or do you know what make and model it is? If you do not know either answer, what abouve computer make and model?

8. Whovian33

It's a Dell XPS 7450(?). I started out with a Win95 when I first got the computer--then my computer guy upgraded it to Win98 and I later upgraded it to Win98SE from a majorgeeks.com download that apparently is gone (not the Win98SE SP2). I know I have a sound card because my computer guy put it in. As a result of regrettable overaction with RegCleaner, I have apparently lost some standard files that I need. I hope this information is helpful. Whovian33

9. bigbazza

You can still run System File Checker (SFC) without the CD. Just select IGNORE for anything it finds. Write down the file names, in full, if you find anything.

As your problem is with MedaiPlayer the above suggestion may not help, but it can't hurt to run SFC anyway, as long as you choose IGNORE. Bazza

===

10. Whovian33

A bud of mine will be sending me a copy of Win98SE so I can restore files I messed up. Will keep you posted how it turns out.
    Word of caution to others: Be very cautiouswith RegCleaner--it is a good tool, but can make you miserable if you do the wrong thing. Whovian33

11. bigbazza

A great simple quick Registry backup program, that I use. Maybe before running Cleaners that you may not have full confidence in.

You might take a peak at ERUNT http://majorgeeks.com/Erunt_d1267.html
    Bazza.

===

12. Whovian33

Well, Bazza, thanks for sending the ERUNT download, but I'm not sure it took because I was getting a lot of dialog boxes saying the download was for NT/2000... etc., but it is installed. How does this dang thing work? Whovian33

13. bigbazza

I made a bad blue. I forgot that you were using W98SE.:eek:
    MG download

14. Whovian33

Already done. I'm waiting for my bud's CD via snail mail--let you know what happens. Whovian33

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds