Windoes Setup Causes Keyboard & Mouse Unresponsive?

Discussion in 'Software' started by teebone110, Mar 9, 2008.

1. teebone110

teebone110 Private E-2

Help, I was in the process of upgrading my XP to XP with SP2, and I have run into a problem.. During the setup, when it goes through... Collecting Information--Dynamic Update--Preparing Installation--Installing Windows.. my keyboard and mouse lock up and are unresponsive. This is a problem bacause when pop-up windows ask about "compatibility with XP" I cannot click, nor select the appropriate button. This is causing the setup to be suspended and nothing seems to work. I tried a safe mode, but it will not as well. Now, I cannot get anything to work, and I want to back up my files as I would hate to lose any through all of this.

I have a USB wireless keyoard and mouse, thinking to try PS/2 type tomorrow.

Anyone go through this before? I need serious help.

Thanks in advance.

Tyler

2. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

:major Welcome to Major Geeks!
    The problem is the wireless USB keyboad and mouse. Use the PS2 set until you get to the windows desktop, then connect the wireless set and make sure it's working before you shut down and remove the PS2 devices. Removing PS2 devices with the PC powered on and running Windows is NOT a good idea. Just shut 'er down for a minute, unplug 'em, and power it back up and all should be well.

3. teebone110

teebone110 Private E-2

Thanks for the tip, I just tried a PS/2 keyboard and PS/2 mouse and I am getting "keyboard error or no keyboard present" during the BIOS startup.

Because it doesn't recognize my keyboard, I am stuck without any way to input.

Any tips, as I am stuck?

Thanks again,

Tyler

4. Novice

Novice MajorGeek

While I'm sure that some people will laugh at this, I have encountered this problem on one PC that I worked on, and it worked. With the power turned off, swap PS/2 ports with the mouse and the keyboard, and then turn the computer on and let it run through its post cycle. Then turn the computer off and reconnect the mouse and keyboard to the correct ports. This was on an older EMachine computer and as far as I know it is still running fine! :)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds