Window directory huge

Discussion in 'Software' started by McFeist, Oct 4, 2010.

1. McFeist

McFeist Private E-2

Hi,

In the past couple of weeks, my Windows directory has gotten really big, 159 GB. I noticed this a couple of days ago running a virus scan, which took forever and then reported that 187 GB had been scanned rather than the usual 34 or so GB. I use CCleaner on a regular basis. Nothing turned up running Superantispyware. Explore says I have 1952 folders in my Windows directory, but I sure don't see that many. The virus scan was clean as well.

What might be going on here? Computer is running just fine. I have Windows XP Professional.

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

Have you deleted all bar the last good System Restore point? see if that gains some space back, can do this from CCLeaners Tools > System Restore option or right click the Drive in question and choose Properties and Disk Cleanup > More Options tab and System Restore

Are you having any application crashes at all, when say an app freezes and errors etc?

Could try a file size app out like SpaceSniffer (are others but they all do similar) and see if it can find what large folders you have as this may hold a clue, especially if your not aware of the files.

What Service Pack do you have for XP? it shouldnt if you have just via WU installed say SP3, should not add that much in GB terms to your HDD.

3. itmortiz

itmortiz Corporal

Do you have Symantec / Norton AV installed?

4. bigbazza

bigbazza R.I.P. 14/12/2011 - Good Onya Geek

FWIW, my Windows Folder (W7 Ultimate 32 bit) is just under 10 gigs.
    Even 34 gigs, for you, seems excessive.
    Bazza

5. Caliban

Caliban I don't need no steenkin' title!

6. Broni

Broni Private First Class

7. McFeist

McFeist Private E-2

Sorry, I wasn't clear. Rather than the usual 34 GB total on my computer, the scan showed that it had scanned about 187 GB total, and the additional GB I later discovered were in the Windows directory.

8. McFeist

McFeist Private E-2

No. I use Avast Professional Edition Antivirus (have for a while now) and Comodo firewall. I routinely use CCleaner and scan with SUPERantispyware and Spybot.

9. McFeist

McFeist Private E-2

10. McFeist

McFeist Private E-2

I have XP Pro SP3. No freezes or errors at all so far. I just incidentally found out by running a virus scan and noticed that on the report it had scanned an unusually large amount of files, and I later figured out it was all coming from the Windows directory. I will try that with CCleaner and let you all know.

Thank you!

11. McFeist

McFeist Private E-2

Well, that is interesting. I ran it, and it shows a total of about 33 GB in use on my C drive with Windows taking up about 9 GB. The biggest single file is hiberfil.sys on C:\ at about 3.5 GB. Next is RTaDbg.txt at 2.8 GB in C:\WINDOWS\. That is definitely different from what I am seeing when I look at the properties of my C:\ drive and the properties specifically of the Windows directory in terms of free space and space in use.

12. bigbazza

Read up on hiberfil.sys at http://www.google.com/search?q=hiberfil.sys&hl=en&num=10&lr=&ft=i&cr=&safe=images

One link.
    Hiberfil.sys: What is it's function? How do I use it? How to delete it?
    http://www.softwarepatch.com/tips/hiberfil-sys-xp.html
    This quote mentions/is for XP, but hiberfil.sys continues in Vista and Win 7. :cry

You can save over 3 gigs of hard drive space if you do not put your PC into hibernation, but this still does not solve your initial query. Sorry.

Bazza

13. itmortiz

itmortiz Corporal

I heard about a false-positive-virus that afects AV Symantec and possibly affects Avast too, makes folders with over 25000 files, try checking the folders of the AV.

There's too a real virus that consume the HDD space, did you tried any antimalware tool different that mentioned, i mean, malwarebytes or MRT (Microsoft Malicious Software Removal Tool)?

14. McFeist

McFeist Private E-2

I finally found the file that is so big in the windows directory - it is RTacDbg.txt. Apparently, from what I have found searching here and on Google, this is a log file associated with Neatgear's wireless adapter. I don't have a Netgear wireless adapter, nor do I have a Netgear router. I use a Rosewill adapter and a Realtek router, so it is pretty strange that I have this log file on my computer.

Is it safe to delete this file? How do I go about getting rid of it?

15. itmortiz

itmortiz Corporal

Wow no sense... :confused

16. bigbazza

As long as it is a genuine text file (*.txt), make a copy and save it to an external drive, or whatever, and then just delete it.

Right click on the file and select/press "Delete". That should get rid of it. :major

Bazza

Last edited: Oct 14, 2010
  17. hrlow2

hrlow2 MajorGeek

Might want to get something to drink, though.
    Even deleting something over 100GB in size will take a while.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds