Window Popup During Login

Discussion in 'Software' started by Fertyop, Dec 9, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fertyop

Fertyop Corporal

When I click on my username on the welcome screen, I type in my password and press enter. Before the desktop shows up an alert window comes up that has no title. No text except for 2 buttons, Yes and No. It makes no difference which one I press but the desktop will not load unless I click on it.

Keep in mind that this computer is not hooked up to the internet nor has ever been hooked up to the internet. Has only a few games on it(Gta: SA, Sims 2 and Doom 3). I have no idea what caused it. I started at no specific time. Yesterday I turned on my computer and that came up. I had done nothing on it the day before except play The Sims 2.

The Specs are:
    Asus a8v deluxe motherboard
    Amd athlong64 3500+ venice
    BFG 6800GT OC 256mb AGP 8X
    2 x 512mb DDRam
    40gb HD

Thats about it.

2. theefool

theefool Geekified

Question, what happens when you start your computer up in safe mode?

3. Insomniac

Insomniac Billy Ray Cyrus #1 Fan

What operating system is it, and do you have a Windows CD? (Not a recovery CD, but a proper Windows CD)

4. Fertyop

Fertyop Corporal

I have a proper windows cd and it is windows XP.

and the popup doesn't show when in safe mode.

5. Insomniac

If it's not happening in Safe Mode then it must be loading with Windows.

Start, Run and type in msconfig.

In the startup tab, see if you can recognise the culprit.

If you aren't sure, post the list or screenshot and hopefully someone will look at it for you.

A visit to the Spyware Forum may also be in order.

6. Fertyop

Fertyop Corporal

I looked at that myself. Nothing has been added since then and that is Msn Messenger but I disabled that becuase I don't have the internet on it.

7. Insomniac

It has to be something loading with Windows.

If msconfig isn't giving you the information, try AutoRuns.

8. Fertyop

Fertyop Corporal

I'll try that. I still don't think that would help cause nothing could've snuck onto my computer hence the no-internet business.

9. Insomniac

I'm not saying it's a virus or spyware necessarily, it could be a program or adware linked to a program that's loading at normal startup.

10. Fertyop

Fertyop Corporal

I tried everything, nothing worked. I guess I could just live with it unless someone else has any ideas.

11. Matacumbie

Matacumbie Rocky Top

What kind of anti-virus is or was installed?

Steve

12. Insomniac

If you can, post the AutoRuns log here as an attachment. (Don't copy and paste)

13. Fertyop

Fertyop Corporal

I don't have anti-virus installed because there is no place for a virus to come from.

14. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Do you transfer files/updates/add-ons for the games from other PCs to this one?

have you updated anything before this happened... be that a graphics driver to OS updates?

As Insomniac said above if you attach a AutoRuns log, one of us may know the culprit.

15. Fertyop

Fertyop Corporal

I haven't done any windows updating. I've only updated the video card drivers from the nividia website. I'll go now and get the log.

I have transfered some files like saved games for gta san andreas and 3dmark05.

16. Fertyop

Fertyop Corporal

Here is the log.

Attached Files:

17. Fertyop

Fertyop Corporal

Anyone know the culprit?

18. Insomniac

Can you post a screenshot of the AutoRuns Window (The log on tab only), as the text file attached earlier is too scrambled to interpret?

19. Fertyop

Fertyop Corporal

I found out the problem. The crack I used to stop the windows activation was garbage and only stopped the notifications. I re-installed windows and the text did show up on the box asking me to activate so then I used the phone service and activated with no problems.

P.S. I do have a legit copy of windows installed on that computer, i used the crack because I was afraid that it would stop me from updating on this computer and I don't have enough money to buy 2 copies of windows xp.

20. Insomniac

Geez, after all that, a bloody crack!

You got off lightly, I hope this puts you off using them.

Micro$$oft doesn't stop you from updating.

You can still get critical patches, even on illegal copies, as long as you have Automatic Updates enabled.

21. theefool

theefool Geekified

But from here on out, until you get a legal copy of XP, you won't be getting any further help from here.

22. Fertyop

Fertyop Corporal

I said I have a legit copy of windows. What is wrong with people on here and not reading my whole post. I did the phone activation and its completely legit so don't say I won't be getting anymore help. Pshaw.

23. DavidGP

The highlighted parts ran alarm bells TBH for both Insomniac and theefool, who are two members who don't just skim over threads lightly but take a great deal of care over their answers, ok fine they or I dont always get the gist of some threads and miss diagnose on occasion.

I would have acted in a similar fashion because in the above quote you have admitted to having 1 legal version of XP fine and great, but you also admitted you are illegally using it on another PC with the aid of an activation disableing crack?

I hope you appreciate as this website and accompanying forum are a business the resulting help and advice to circumvent Microsofts EULA on the use of their software may/would have lead to some legal issues.

24. Fertyop

Fertyop Corporal

Thanks for your replies.

I used the CD, which is legit, that i used for my other computer in this computer and both copies are now completely legit. The only reason I used a crack was because I heard that if 2 duplicate copies of windows xp were updating they would stop you from using it. That was when windows xp first came out. Now I know better.

25. DavidGP

So if I have you correct you are using 1 XP CD ( and copy of ) and 1 Licence on 2 PCs?

26. Corporal Punishment

Corporal Punishment Administrator Staff Member

Assisting someone to violate a copyright is illegal –WinXP allows only one seat per license. You are violating Microsoft’s license and therefore there will be no more help in this matter. Topic is closed.. .

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds