Windows 10 Can't Access Any Os Features Like Settings, Start Button, Etc

Discussion in 'Software' started by mattbiel, Jan 2, 2016.

1. mattbiel

mattbiel Private E-2

I have a 1-month-old Dell PC with Windows 10 factory installed. Set it up, everything went fine, worked great for a month. Then a few days ago something changed when I rebooted and desktop icons like "computer" and "control panel" disappeared. When I try to right-click on the desktop and choose "personalize" I get a ms-settings:personalization-background error (screen cap attached).

I then noticed that I can't access the start menu. When I click on it nothing happens. When I right-click I can access that menu and get to some places on the pc that way, but settings doesn't open either. Windows Update doesn't open. System Restore doesn't show any restore points.

Seems like there is something wrong with the OS. Microsoft Edge browser doesn't open either. I can open and use Google Chrome but not with the desktop shortcut; only by navigating to it in the Programs folder.

I found a microsoft fixit tool that seems to relate here, but downloading it and running it, it says that it can't find the problem so I don't think this is the right fix for it.

Any ideas would be GREATLY appreciated!

IMG_20160102_131747352.jpg

2. mattbiel

mattbiel Private E-2

I sort of solved it myself. Found online how to create a new user account via command prompt. Logged in to new user and everything works fine, so I just moved my files to the new user acct.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds