Windows 10 forced updates

Discussion in 'Software' started by Nexus_, Jul 9, 2015.

1. Nexus_

Nexus_ Staff Sergeant

What is everyone's opinion on this matter?

it appears people who upgrade for ''free'' to windows 10 will be forced to auto update which cannot be turned off.

Actually the update feature cannot be turned off at all it appears however professional windows 10 users can delay the updates forever it seems.

I personally dislike this as i don't install all the updates and some cause issues. Forcing us to update without being able to choose what we can update will certainly cause some issues.

I hope someone comes out with some app or software that can bypass this

2. Earthling

Earthling Interplanetary Geek

Personally I have never once had a problem as a result of keeping WU on automatic, but if I did then I would initially use system restore and, if that didn't work, restore a recent disk image. MS are trying to protect the less savvy users from themselves and I'd go along with that.

3. Eldon

Eldon Major Geek Extraordinaire

This is unacceptable :crap
    I run Windows 7 Ultimate - no SP1, no updates, no problems. I eagerly await an expert explanation.

If this is the future of Windows, then I'll run Linux Mint, install Oracle VM VirtualBox, and run both Windows XP and 7 in a virtual environment. And I'll make copies of the virtual discs.

:kissmy and :seeya Micro$oft...

4. Earthling

As a W7 Ultimate user you will upgrade to W10 Pro should you accept it, and therefore, like other advanced users, would have full control of updates. But the vast majority of Windows users have never even opened an Explorer window, let alone tried to judge which updates to accept. MS has to strike a balance between users like you and the vast majority who have no expertise with computers. I find this article takes a pretty balanced view of the situation, i.e. like mine :-D

http://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonk...des-automatically-on-windows-7-and-windows-8/

5. mdonah

mdonah Major Geek Extraordinaire

I run 8.1 pro and expect the Win 10 update to be Pro as well. But, a couple days ago I had installed Win 10 preview build 10162 and it showed as the Pro version in the lower right corner of the desktop.

I had to activate it because I installed it on a different hard drive (hardware change) and had to get a Product Key from MS online for versions 10158 and later.

Windows Update doesn't show in Control Panel. So, I can't manually check for updates and the only "control" I have over the process is "Notify to Restart". I can't choose what to accept or hide.

6. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

I'm happily running Windows 7 on four computers. I will not have to decide until 2019 what I want to do about Win 10.
    I'd rather pass up a free upgrade and sees how Win 10 shapes up in the next year or so then if I hear good things, I'll buy a computer with it installed.

7. theefool

theefool Geekified

If you run pro, then you get to decide what gets updated. I'll be going from 8.1 pro to 10 pro. Looking forward to it.

I've got 10166 running in a VM now, and wow it is running smootly.

8. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

I run 10166 on bare metal with my Spectre.

Works great.

9. oma

oma MajorGeek

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Wind...wed-to-Delay-Update-Installation-483150.shtml

So from what I understand, updates for the PRO and up will eventually end up on the PCs at a later date. In other words they can only DELAY the updates, not opt out.

10. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

11. pwillener

pwillener MajorGeek

It's about time that users are forced to update. There are millions of users with unsecure software out there, and this is the only way to remedy this.

Other software manufacturers move in the same direction.

12. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

By default, drivers are installed through WU in Windows 10. I've seen it still download drivers with it turned off, though not install them.

As of this time, the insider preview does not let you choose updates, nor defer them. You get the whole banana.

It has been my experience that when you get a failed update, you won't see any new ones until that one is fixed.

13. Eldon

Eldon Major Geek Extraordinaire

Consider this...
    Who pays for the data used to download the updates? rolleyes (I know the answer)

14. mdonah

mdonah Major Geek Extraordinaire

Whether you want it or not. In at least one other, earlier, release Windows Update was available in Control Panel. But, because it didn't come up in high contrast black, I couldn't see what was in the dialogue box.

I'm fortunate in that I don't have data limits on my cable internet. If I did, I wouldn't be able to get the wonderful programs from MG's (I download and install/update several almost daily).:-D

15. tleewade

tleewade Private E-2

agree

16. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

17. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Well to start with, windows 10 can have driver updates turned off and to finish off that statement, the only time that is violated is if it is a required update for 10.

Mostly though, its people not turning off driver updates through windows update.

People love to blame MS though.

18. Earthling

I'm running 10240 Pro, the latest build, and can't see where that option is?

19. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Advanced system settings, Hardware.

There is a button at the bottom for driver installation settings.

20. Earthling

Got it, thanks

21. Earthling

10 says it does not force updates where there is a chargeable connection though I'm curious as to how it would know.

22. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

If you put it in battery saver mode it will never install a windows update.

Of course, that doesn't help AC connected machines.

23. Earthling

This is the relevant bit -

Attached Files:

24. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

You can define a connection as metered.

In fact, its a way for Home users to defer updates.

Attached Files:

25. Earthling

Ah! Using VMware, so no wifi adapter so don't see that but can't find it under Ethernet either. Probably again as it's a VM.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2015
  26. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

It might be only for WiFi connections.

27. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

28. Earthling

Thanks for educating us on some of the hidden or less than obvious features Adryn. Hopefully this will allay some of the concerns expressed in this thread.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds