Windows 10 Free Upgrade

Discussion in 'Software' started by mark59, Jul 15, 2016.

1. mark59

mark59 MajorGeek

I am receiving daily message boxes about the free upgrade to Windows 10 for which my PCs qualify. Can I download the update to my PCs now but install after the deadline of the 29th July or does it have to be installed on your machine by that deadline.

2. Earthling

Earthling Interplanetary Geek

As things stand, and however you choose to do the upgrade, i.e. upgrade the present setup, software and all or do a clean install, you have to get it activated by 29th. There isn't an option to delay installation beyond 29th but MS might yet relent on that of course.

3. DOA

DOA MG's Loki

And once you upgrade you are stuck with 10. Your key will be re-assigned and not usable for 7.

4. Earthling

I believed that too but not so sure now. I upgraded my wife's 7 to 10 but we had an irritating issue with it not shutting down completely. Reverted it to 7 after two weeks using an image and a month later 7 is still showing as Activated.

5. DOA

DOA MG's Loki

You had 30 days.

6. Earthling

Yes, of course. Memory fault ;)

7. mdonah

mdonah Major Geek Extraordinaire

You had started a thread about reverting to Win 7 and stated it was after 2 months. You also were concerned about your Win 7 Key becoming invalid.

The OP can upgrade 'til the 29th for free. After then, he'll need to pay $119 or $199 depending on version (quoted from @NT Compatible).

8. Earthling

There are several computers and VMs here, I could have been talking about any one of them. What's your point? Can you point me to it and maybe I could answer.

9. mdonah

10. Earthling

OK, thanks mdonah. Looks like my short term memory isn't what it used to be - not a good sign :oops: I thought we had reverted it after just a couple of weeks but clearly not.

11. mdonah

I think what "saved" you was the fact that you used an image you had created before the upgrade and you restored from that image. If you had rolled back using "Windows.old", things may have been different.

12. MaxTurner

MaxTurner Banned

The answers to the two questions are a simple NO and YES.

13. mdonah

Hopefully, you're not headed toward dimentia. Maybe you should start taking Prevagen if it's available in the UK. It increases short-term memory.

14. Earthling

Not seeing any signs of that in the real world so I'll just put it down to a lot less less interest in tech issues than I once had.

15. mjnc

mjnc MajorGeek

A slight decline in short term memory is typical and normal as people age. It doesn't necessarily indicate oncoming dementia. We all worry about it. Someone twenty years younger could have experienced the same "memory fault". ;)

16. mdonah

That's why I suggested Prevagen. I've also gotten info on a pill called LZT — a steroid for the brain which enables accessing a larger portion of the brain than the usual 10 — 15% we "usually" access.

17. Earthling

Hey guys, enough already :eek: I'm OK, I can still find my way home and remember whatshername's name, I think :confused:

Eldon and Imandy Mann like this.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds