Windows 10 Hijacked All My Windows Media Player Playlists To Groove

Discussion in 'Software' started by Gensuknives, Feb 14, 2017.

1. Gensuknives

Gensuknives Grand pooty-meister

Since I upgraded Windows 7 Home to W-10, I have lost my windows media player playlists. My playlists show up under "My Music" but when I try to play one, Groove opens up and I cannot access them in WMP any longer.
    Any clues or suggestions as to how I can recover my playlists back into Windows Media Player and get rid of Groove? When I open up WMP it shows no playlists there.???

2. Eldon

Eldon Major Geek Extraordinaire

Right-click the playlist file (it should have the file extension .wpl) and change the default program to open it to Windows Media Player.

3. Gensuknives

I did that, but the playlists still do not show up as playlists in Windows Media Player. Do I have to re-create the playlists again???

4. Eldon

What do the playlists show up as in Windows Media Player?
    The playlists should be in the Playlist folder in the Music Library, or perhaps in one of the folders in C:\Users\NAME\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Media Player.

5. Gensuknives

I finally got the playlists to show up under "Music" and was able to re-create or add the .wpl named playlists BACK into Windows Media Player. Thanks immensely for your assistance.
    Now they show up in WMP as individual playlists, like they did before the groove hijack. Thanks again.

6. Eldon

You did all the work. :p
    FWIW
    In Windows Media Player, under Library, you'll see Playlists - that's where they should be and not in Music.

If you don't use Groove (I don't know a single person who does), uninstall it.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds