Windows 10 Search Not Working

Discussion in 'Software' started by Paula320, Apr 6, 2016.

1. Paula320

Paula320 Private E-2

Has anyone managed to permanently fix this? The only thing I have found that works for me is to re-register Cortana but I'm getting tired of having to do that. It works for a few days then stops again. I've tried repairing the search index and the Windows search troubleshooter and those don't fix it.

2. MaxTurner

MaxTurner Banned

3. Paula320

Paula320 Private E-2

Yes, Windows 10. I also have Cortana disabled. When I re-register it Cortana stays disabled but search will work again for a while. The fix you posted doesn't work for me because when mine stops working, Cortana does not show up in my Task Manager. Thank you for replying. :)

4. Eldon

Eldon Major Geek Extraordinaire

5. Paula320

Paula320 Private E-2

Thanks. I would use that if it didn't work at all but it works after I run the re-register thing. I'm just tired of having to do that every few days and want to fix it permanently.

6. Earthling

Earthling Interplanetary Geek

I can't answer your question as both Win 10 systems here seem to be bug free. Mind if I ask whether your Win 10 is an upgraded 7 or 8 or a clean install? The first system I upgraded had a number of problems so I removed it and did a clean install, and same with the second.

7. MaxTurner

MaxTurner Banned

I would suggest running sfc /scannow from an administrator command prompt. It can't do any harm but will check for the state of the system files:
    You can start that most quickly by right-clicking the far left bottom windows tile and select 'command prompt(admin)
    Then just type into the black dos window that appears: sfc /scannow (must be a space after sfc) click enter and let it do its stuff.
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows-10/using-system-file-checker-in-windows-10

Read this below about how to get a small text document of the results straight to the desktop. Do not bother looking at the CBS log.
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/kb/929833#bookmark-cbs log

8. Paula320

Paula320 Private E-2

I upgraded from Win 7.

I ran the scan and it said that it did not find any integrity violations.

9. MaxTurner

MaxTurner Banned

You could follow Earthling's suggestion in post #6 and do a fresh clean install of Windows 10 (you must have your product key in case of need). If not, and you are tired of resetting, then Eldon's suggestion in post #4 is your only last resort.

10. Paula320

Paula320 Private E-2

Okay. Thank you all for your input and advice!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds