Windows 10 Update Caused Havoc With My Computers

Discussion in 'Software' started by avz10, Jun 24, 2017.

1. avz10

avz10 Private E-2

I need some advice please.
    I have Windows 10 on both my desktop and laptop at home. Windows, in their wisdom, decided to update both my computers one night this week and left me with 2 computers that do not work. (If anyone would enter your house at night, adjust electronic equipment so that it does not work and leave the house, I am sure that the police would investigate a charge, even in South Africa, so why does Windows get away with it?)
    After starting my desktop, I am able to log in to Windows, but then immediately a black screen shows with what sounds like a computer starting up, but nothing happens, even after hours of waiting.
    My laptop, on the other hand, keeps on crashing every few hours. I have tried to download a new copy of Windows with the Media Creation tool, but this is impossible, as I constantly needs to start afresh.
    I will post the specs of both computers now.
    Any help would be great

2. MaxTurner

MaxTurner Banned

3. locodave

locodave Corporal

When the computer goes into the black screen. If you move the mouse, does it show up on the black screen?

4. avz10

avz10 Private E-2

Thanks for the help so far.
    I have been able to get my laptop going again by using system restore, however, I am still struggling with my desktop. I can find system restore in safe mode, but clicking on it, only causes the wheel to continue turning! No luck there. Is there another way to access system restore?
    Locodave, when I see the black screen, I am able to move the cursor,
    Any advice?

5. avz10

avz10 Private E-2

I just want to rephrase- In safe mode, I am able to open Control Panel, but in Control Panel, when clicking on System restore, it does not want to open the system restore panel

6. mdonah

mdonah Major Geek Extraordinaire

By default, Windows 10 doesn't keep Restore Points unlike Windows 7. You need to turn that on in System Protection.

katkat likes this.
  7. avz10

avz10 Private E-2

This situation remains difficult to solve.
    Being unable to open the System Properties panel, I restarted the computer in Safe mode with Command Prompt last night and then used the command "rstrui.exe". This gave me the notification that I have not set any restore points. This is not the case. I did it regularly up to 2-3 weeks ago, but unfortunately haven't done so in the past week.
    Up to 2-3 weeks ago, I used Acronis True Image, but this program I deleted as it slowed my computer. The backup file (plus incremental backups) are still visible.
    Would it be a possibility to install Acronis again and then try to install the backup file?
    Or any other suggestions?

8. MaxTurner

MaxTurner Banned

9. locodave

locodave Corporal

Avz10, Sorry for a late reply. ( Wife drags me to a kinder garden graduation party for a family member Sunday.) Then our younger son's birthday was today. ;) .

When I had the black screen after the failed up-date, I tryed to do this to no avail. -> https://www.tenforums.com/general-support/10457-fix-windows-10-booting-black-screen.html

On the keeps rebooting. Black screen with cursor. Up-dates. They are saved in the software distribution file. A temp file. When in safe mode do a search for the file. Depending on how the up-dates time are set. It will not try to up-date between 8am and 5 pm. At least that's what mine is set at.

If you can find the file, explore and you should see every pending download. Delete them all. That should stop the trying. Until they download again. I lucked out. Kept the computer on with the black screen. Woke up at 9am and had the windows up and running. Go figure? Up and running? We ha.

My H/P computer, went to H/P sight for up-date driver downloads. M/B graphic card showed a new driver specific for win 10. Old one was from 2013. New was from I think 2016. Helped with the black screen.

On the no safe mode with networking. I had the same prob at 1st. Not able to. I don't know how yours is connected to the internet. Mine has a wireless card with antenna. 1st bought it, It found my router, put in the key and up and running for internet. No cat-ethernet cable needed. Safe mode did not find the wireless. For networking.

I shut off the computer, added the cat cable and was able to get networking in safe mode. If you just use the cat to connect. Turn off the computer, un-plug the cat. Restart.

Then shut down, plug the cable back in. Thinking it might re-discover it? Just a guess. Didn't work? I made a lenghty post on the same thing you are going thru. After an up-date.

Been meaning to up-date my struggles after I thought it was fixed. More issues when I would try to up-date on a fresh install. ( Not allowed unless permission as an admin. I was logged on as an admin. ) Had to do with MBR vrs GPT. Bios settings UEFI vrs Legacy. On able to do a reset. Didn't post here thinking might take a while to figure mine out. And I did. Few stupid mistakes, but I now have the Win 10 enterprise version, fresh install. Saved nothing.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2017

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds