Windows 1st edition Upgrade to 2nd Ed.

Discussion in 'Software' started by Jud149, Dec 2, 2005.

1. Jud149

Jud149 First Sergeant

Would it make sense to do this? I bought a new printer and Canon has now told me that it will operate better with the newer edition (they says $20 at Office Depot). I'm really waiting for Vista so I don't want to spend and serious $ on a new system now.

2. brownizs

brownizs MajorGeek

3. Jud149

Jud149 First Sergeant

But I don't have XP; I have 1st ed. Windows.

4. Mada_Milty

Mada_Milty MajorGeek

Windows 98 first edition? Is that what you mean? When speaking of editions, typically Win98 is what is meant...

5. Just Playin

Just Playin MajorGeek

Windows 98 First Edition?

6. brownizs

brownizs MajorGeek

First edition of Windows would make it Win1.x. I am sure that he is speaking about WinXP 1st Ed. which would be WinXP without SP1., unless it was already upgraded. Jud149, go into Run and type Winmsd and tell us what version you are running.

7. brownizs

brownizs MajorGeek

Going back through his other posts, he is running Win98 1st ed. Unless the hardware is capable of running WinXP, he would have to go out and purchase a new computer. Also Vista will not run on older hardware. Min. Processor speed is 2.4ghz, Ram min is 512mb.

To better help you out, we really need to know Hardware, OS, to be of better assistance. Also Win98se does not sell for $20.00 so I do not know where the Canon Tech. got that info from, and even if you could buy it, which you cannot now, you would have to find someone that has a copy that has not been used.

Also, if I recall, USB is not able to run in Win98 1st. ed., that your would have to be running Win98se at least.

8. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

System requirements for Vista haven't been finalized yet. Could be lower (I'd almost bet on it), or itcould be higher.

9. Insomniac

Insomniac Billy Ray Cyrus #1 Fan

Windows 98 and 98 SE don't officially support USB 2.0.

USB 1.0 or 1.1 run fine, and USB 2.0 will work, but you need to supply drivers.

To answer the authors question, 98 SE is a huge improvement over 98.

Whether it's worth it or not is your call. If you aren't having major problems, then hold out, otherwise it might be a good investment.

You can get 98 SE for next to nothing these days from plenty of places.

As far as it being used, so what? Product Activation isn't an issue, so it makes no difference.

10. Jud149

Jud149 First Sergeant

Following your instructions, I get file not found when typing winmsd in Run. My styem was purchased in '98 from Gateway and the original paperwork shows the OS as MS Windows 98. As far as waiting for Vista, I'll be buying a new PC.

11. brownizs

brownizs MajorGeek

The command only runs in Win2k/XP/2k3. As for waiting for Vista, I will be one to either be looking for a Mactel or move over to Linux when XP is no longer supported. Vista will end up being the demise of all things due to a lot of people do not want the DRM and some other copyright features.

12. Jud149

Jud149 First Sergeant

Thanks for the response. I've got another thread going regarding internet/new printer problem which started this problem. Please refer to that item.

13. Maxwell

Maxwell Folgers

To get the operating system information in Windows 98 (or other versions of Windows), press and hold the windows key then press the Pause/Break key (i.e., Windows-Break - note this does not break your windows despite the key name!). You should get a dialog indicating system under the General tab. Alternatively you can get this dialog via Control Panel/System from the Start menu.

I upgraded my old Windows 98 1st edtition to 2nd edition by a purchase of a low cost legit upgrade CD off eBay. Once you've upgrade go to Windows Update and download.installed all the 2nd edition updates.

Finally, I added further "patches" by using the "Unofficial Service pack" from here: http://majorgeeks.com/UNOFFICIAL_Windows98_SE_Service_Pack_d4131.html

-----------------
    With regard to Windows Vista you have a choice of being at the leading edge or waiting for it to mature. One thing is likely is that older PC applications and games are not necessarily going to operate smoothly in Vista, in much the same way even older applications and games do not necessarily operate well in Windows XP without the use of compatibility mode. Also like XP I would expect tha there will be Vista Service Packs to cover all sorts of "features" including "security features".

It depends on what the intended use of Vista is going to be for you - if it is for a business then I would suggest a wait for maturity otherwise you will need to put (considerable?) effort into "migrating" your business apps to that platform. For home users this may not be such a problems, depends upon your spare time and acceptance that some things may not work as intended - then you can come here for problem resolution :D.

14. Jud149

Jud149 First Sergeant

It just says MS Windows 98 so I guess that's 1st edition. Thanks for your help!

15. augiedoggie

augiedoggie The Canadian Loon - LocoAugie (R.I.P. 2012)

LOL, can you be less specific? :p :D Business ain't going to buy or update their hardware just for the masses of their employees. Vista's a minimum of a year away though I'm not holding my breath and it doesn't do that much more than XP ATM except for looking pretty. Here's one article amongst thousands on the hardware angle. http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1895,1843945,00.asp

16. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

MS isn't much more specific, other than the sapecs will be finalized Summer 2006.

That, and the general guidelines of 512mb ram, dx9.0 video card, and a recent CPU ;)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds