Windows 2000 reboots continuously

Discussion in 'Software' started by Jim Stella, Oct 8, 2005.

1. Jim Stella

Jim Stella Private E-2

I was installing QuickBooks 2003 on my computer; the program told me I would have to restart my computer in order to continue the install. Now my computer continuously reboots. I can get to the Windows 2000 Pro startup screen, but then it hangs and reboots again. I can reboot in Safe Mode. I checked my Event Log and these are the errors I got after one failed reboot and then a reboot into Safe Mode. I also did a search for this problem and saw some posts about the Zotob worm, I got the patch and ran it, but it came back clean. I also noticed that some of the boot files listed in the Event Log errors are related to Symantec, so I contacted them and all they could recommend was to uninstall NIS 2005 and try to reboot, but Windows won’t let me uninstall NIS 2005 in Safe Mode. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I have leave for the night, but will check back tomorrow.

Thanks,
    Jim

Event Log

Application Errors

Source: PerfDisk
    Event ID: 1000

Description:
    Unable to open the Disk performance object. Status code returned is data DWORD 0.

Source: rasctrs
    Event ID: 2001

Description:
    The description for Event ID ( 2001 ) in Source ( rasctrs ) cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. The following information is part of the event: The event log file is corrupt..

System Errors

Source: DCOM
    Event ID: 10010

Description:
    The server {1BE1F766-5536-11D1-B726-00C04FB926AF} did not register with DCOM within the required timeout.

Source: Service Control Manager
    Event ID: 7001

Description:
    The System Event Notification service depends on the COM+ Event System service which failed to start because of the following error:
    No attempts to start the service have been made since the last boot.

Event ID: 7026

Description:
    The following boot-start or system-start driver(s) failed to load:
    SAVRTPEL
    SPBBCDrv
    SYMTDI

Event ID: 7001

Description:
    The Remote Access Connection Manager service depends on the Telephony service which failed to start because of the following error:
    No attempts to start the service have been made since the last boot.

Source: DCOM
    Event ID: 10010

Description:
    The server {1BE1F766-5536-11D1-B726-00C04FB926AF} did not register with DCOM within the required timeout.

2. ActivelyLazy

ActivelyLazy Private E-2

Hi Jim,
    Have you considered that this could be hardware related? If you have ruled out a virus or a trojan problem then I would look at my hardware such as memory and cards etc. Start swapping each piece of hardware with another that you know works and see what happens. Only do one piece at a time so you can hopefully isolate the problem.

I would hate to go to the next step which is an OS rebuild only to find that it was my hardware all the time.

If you need to look at some Win2K articles try this site:
    http://www.findingfacts.com/L3/L3_1_5_12.php

3. Jim Stella

Jim Stella Private E-2

With some help from others, I was able to fix the problem. I had to use the symantec SymNRT.exe program in order to remove NIS 2005 in safe mode, and can now reboot into normal mode. Will be looking for a different firewall program, have had to many problems with NIS over the years to continue using it.

Jim

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds