Windows 7/10 Dual Boot Problem.

Discussion in 'Software' started by mtd, Oct 4, 2016.

1. mtd

mtd Private E-2

I have recently re-installed W7 Pro due to certain of my older software not running on W10. When I boot my system, I'm given the option to boot 7 or 10. My problem arises when i choose W7 and when the OS loads, I have no keyboard, mouse or tablet. I've already tried the different USB BIOS settings (legacy ON, OFF or AUTO) with random results. No such problem with W10.

2. Earthling

Earthling Interplanetary Geek

Is this the Win 7 you upgraded to Win 10? You can have either 7 or 10 but you can't have both, not without buying a new licence key anyway.

3. mtd

mtd Private E-2

Yes you can have both and both are licensed.

4. Anon-469e6fb48c

Anon-469e6fb48c Anonymized

If you upgraded your current PC from Windows 7 to Windows 10, your Windows 7 license expired 31 days after the upgrade. (Note: Microsoft defines the Windows 10 rollback period as "a month" in much of its documentation, and some support sites say 30 days, but we confirmed with Microsoft that it's 31.) An update version of Windows 7 won’t work either. You need a retail or OEM version that hasn’t been used—or has been thoroughly removed from another computer.

It's extremely hard to dual boot these to windows.But there is a catch 22 here be cause even though you dual booted Windows 7 with Windows 10.Windows 10 will overpower windows 7 and corrupt the data in some way.On a single drive dual boot system.

The only way i see that where this would work best is that if you split the drives in two or three sections.This is the older way of dual booting.

If your wireless is working use Driver Booster 3 from Iobit http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/driver_booster_3.html it will help find you drivers.

5. mdonah

mdonah Major Geek Extraordinaire

As wile e coyote said, make sure the OSes are installed to separate partitions on the drive. I'm quad-booting 7, 8.1 Core, 8.1 Pro and 10 Pro on my laptop without issue because each partition is being treated as a separate drive. All, of course, are licensed.

6. mtd

mtd Private E-2

Thanks to wile e coyote & mdonah,
    I forgot to mention in my original post that both versions are on different partitions i.e. C: = Win10Pro, E: = Win7Pro.

7. mdonah

mdonah Major Geek Extraordinaire

If you installed Win 7 AFTER Win 10, Win 7 should have become the default OS (it did on my laptop). Are you getting the Metro boot loader or the white text on black background boot loader where you have to use the arrow key(s) to choose which OS? If you get the Metro boot loader, Win 10 is the default OS.

Is that "E" drive partition on the interal drive or on a USB connected external drive? Under UEFI, the computer won't boot to a USB connected drive.

I don't quite understand what you mean by "I have no keyboard, mouse or tablet".

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds