Windows 7/64 bit - CBS registry errors

Discussion in 'Software' started by joroman3, Oct 14, 2015.

1. joroman3

joroman3 Private E-2

When I check system update readiness (SUR) on my Windows 7/64bit PC, I get two registry errors (see log below). I have tried running Windows repair from Tweaking.com but this has not fixed the problem.

Any idea on how to fix these CBS registry errors?

Thanks in advance.

=================================
    Checking System Update Readiness.
    Binary Version 6.1.7601.22471
    Package Version 26.0
    2015-10-08 17:55

Checking Component Watchlist

Checking Packages
    (f) CBS Registry Error 0x80070002 Microsoft-Windows-GroupPolicy-ClientTools-Package~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~en-US~6.1.7601.17514 failed to get CurrentState

(f) CBS Registry Error 0x80070002 Microsoft-Windows-GroupPolicy-ClientTools-Package~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~en-US~6.1.7601.17514 failed to get Visibility

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

What is the problem you are having that needs you to run SUR tool?
    One of the main issues that can affect a Windows update is your security software so uninstall or disable to test Win Update.

If a specific update is failing download it manually and easy to search for the KB number at Microsoft and download and install as at times a manual install fixes a WU issue, is your Windows version a retail or OEM or a downloaded version as that can be a causality issue to updates.

3. joroman3

joroman3 Private E-2

Thanks for your reply. I was having problems with the following Windows updates: KB3078071, KB3060716, KB3071756 (Error codes: 80070490 and 8E5E03FA). Check SUR was reporting the two CBS registry errors mentioned in this post, and I was wondering if these errors were related to the failed updates.

In the end, I ran the registry cleaner from Tweaking.com, which found a corrupted package in one of my installed KB updates. I uninstalled the corrupted package and was finally able to install updates KB3078071, KB3060716, KB3071756. I also created a new profile, as my old profile seemed to be corrupted. In the end, I'm not exactly sure what exactly solved the problem, but I was able to install the updates.

The remaining question I have is what is the meaning of these two CBS registry errors reported by check SUR. Do I need to worry about fixing these or should I just ignore them?

Thanks.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds