Windows 7 Activation By Phone results in different product key than one on laptop

Discussion in 'Software' started by phoisheaven, Oct 12, 2012.

1. phoisheaven

phoisheaven Private E-2

Hello to all!

I recently re-installed Windows 7 Home Premium on my Acer Aspire 5742Z laptop.

I used the Product Key from the sticker on the laptop, but for some reason, when I tried to do the Activation online, it told me to do it by phone instead.

I activated by phone, typed in the confirmation code and it said "Activation Successful."

But now when I look in "System" section of Control Panel, there is a Product Key there that is totally different from the one on the sticker! (The one on the sticker starts with a 9, the one in "System" starts with a 0)

The letters OEM are part of this different product key, and the sticker on my laptop does say "Windows 7 Home Premium OA" (I believe OA is the same as OEM, correct me if I'm wrong).

Is it ok that it is a different Product Key? I want to make sure my copy is legal.

The "Genuine Microsoft Software" is beside it, FYI.

2. pwillener

pwillener MajorGeek

If you were able to activate it, then chances are very good that it is a legal copy.

3. phoisheaven

phoisheaven Private E-2

Sweet, thanks!

I am curious as to why the Product Key changes to a different one.

Does anyone know why that happens? I searched on google as well as this site, but found no info.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds