Windows 7 and above Printer settings

Discussion in 'Software' started by anishkgt, Jan 21, 2015.

1. anishkgt

anishkgt Private E-2

Hi Geeks,

its really frustrating to keep on adding a form size for a printer when its getting cleared or deleted when the system restarts (at times) and when the system idle (most of the time). This happens on only PC's running Windows 7 and above. Windows Xp had no issues. The printer used is an OKI ML-280 using a Generic Printer driver.

Any one had this experience, thanks in advance.

2. usafveteran

usafveteran MajorGeek

I think I would visit the manufacture's website and search for printer software for your model and for Windows 7. I would download and install it to replace the generic driver you're using.

3. DOA

DOA MG's Loki

Yes, I get the same thing with Win 7 64 bit.
    I never got 8 or 8.1 to work as well as 7, but I did not spend much time trying.
    I am running a networked HP Laser with the HP drivers. For some reason the settings will not stick on any of my five Win 7 computers. We have to check settings every time or we can get 50% or 200% scaling. Only the Macs are immune. I have asked on many forums and tried many "solutions" and decided finding a cure was worse than the disease.

4. anishkgt

anishkgt Private E-2

I doubt if its the printer driver that is causing the problem. Its windows feature. The form size is actually set in the windows 'print server properties'. Seems that the forms saves does not stay.

5. usafveteran

usafveteran MajorGeek

You can't be sure of that. If it were true, we'd all have the same problem. Continuing to use the generic driver when you can get a driver specifically for your printer from the manufacturer makes no sense.

I do not have the issue with my Brother printer with either Windows 7 or Windows 8.1.

6. foogoo

foogoo Major "foogoo" Geek

I have an issue with printer settings per user, what I found was it is stored in a reg key. So I used some kungfu to get it, then made an exe that would restore setting when users logged on.
    If the changes are kept in the registry you can try this, get regfromapp from nirsoft and get winspy++. Bring up the printer properties window and use winspy++ to get the process id, run regfromapp and select that process. Make your changes and regfromapp will catch the changes, then you can save the changes so next time you just have to click the reg file to make the changes.
    Or you can write some code to 'run' it ever so often. Maybe not the 'fix' but a patch.

7. anishkgt

anishkgt Private E-2

tried your solution foogo but the processID for print server porperties in the windows printers and devices does not show up in the winSpy. got to find out something.

8. foogoo

Forgot.. run as admin, or some processes will not show!!!!

9. foogoo

10. foogoo

11. anishkgt

anishkgt Private E-2

Thanks for the video Foogoo but that was not the window i am concerned about, its the printer server properties in the attached. A custom once added disappears latter either between work or when the system restarts. Tries running both files as admin but it did not show up.

Thanks for you time

Attached Files:

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds