Windows 7, BackUp & Restore Program won't work

Discussion in 'Software' started by loafty, Oct 10, 2010.

1. loafty

loafty Private E-2

I am running Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit...I can not open the Backup and Restore program in the Control Panel nor can I open it if I go to Start-All Programs- Maintenance - Back up and restore...... I think the only way I can do a back up is to go to Control Panel -System - Action Centre - Maintenance - Options then it brings up box saying "windows backup troubleshooting options - change back up settings - then it opens set up back up....... Can anyone please tell me how I can get the BACKUP and RESTORE to work properly in the Control Panel and all programs sections please as it has me stumped. Thank You

2. rustyjack

rustyjack MajorGeek

Reboot pressing F8 " Windows Advanced User Mode " then scroll down to " Last Known Good Configuration " let it reboot then check again !
    Did you make backup discs when you first got your PC ?

3. loafty

loafty Private E-2

I want the BACK UP AND RESTORE TO WORK SO THAT IF MY COMPUTER CRASHES I DON'T HAVE TO REBUILD IT FROM SCRATCH AS THAT IS WHAT i AM DOING NOW TO TRY AND GET THIS FEATURE TO WORK PROPERLY, THANKS

4. Earthling

Earthling Interplanetary Geek

Windows Backup and Restore is not installed by default in Win 7, so you just need to go through the setup routine on All Programs > Maintenance > Backup and Restore > Set up Backup.

5. bigbazza

bigbazza R.I.P. 14/12/2011 - Good Onya Geek

You might also like to visit MG's link to Backup programs
    at http://www.majorgeeks.com/downloads3.html

Dozens of various Backup programs, both Shareware and FREE programs listed.
    You may find a program you prefer to the Windows option.

Well worth a look, IMO.

Bazza

6. Earthling

Earthling Interplanetary Geek

bigbazza makes a good point. While Windows backup will secure your system it doesnt match up to the best of the third party offerings in several respects, and for Win 7 64-bit I would particularly recommend you take a look at Macrium Reflect

7. loafty

loafty Private E-2

Thank You to everyone who tried to help me, I have got it working now and the only way I could get it to work was do format my drive and put a fresh copy of Windows 7 and now it works A1

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds