Windows 7 bits identification

Discussion in 'Software' started by mcsmc, Jan 8, 2012.

1. mcsmc

mcsmc MajorGeek

Hi

I have a simple question that I haven't been able to find the answer to by searching, so I'm hoping someone here knows.

Is there a way to tell if a Windows 7 installation is 32 bit or 64 bit simply by looking in the install folders/files? The reason I ask is that I have a few USB sticks that I made into bootable Windows 7 installations. It took hours, and I don't really want to redo it if I can help it. I didn't label which was 32 bit and 64 bit. I realize I could install them on a virtual machine and tell that way... but it'd be much easier if I could simply browse them and know that way somehow.

2. thisisu

thisisu Malware Consultant

Look for a SysWOW64 folder in %windir% (c:\windows)
    If it's there, it's x64 Windows. ;)

3. mcsmc

mcsmc MajorGeek

Yes... I know how to tell from an INSTALLED Windows. I'm talking about the files present on a Windows 7 installation disk.

4. thisisu

Open f:\sources\install.wim as an archive e.g. with 7zip
    Implying that f is your flash drive letter.
    From there you can see the folders / files that would extracted.

Hope this helps :)

5. mcsmc

mcsmc MajorGeek

Ahhh nifty, thank you for the tip!

6. thisisu

You're welcome! :)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds