Windows 7 Black Screen at Startup

Discussion in 'Software' started by fasteddie34219, Aug 22, 2010.

1. fasteddie34219

fasteddie34219 Private E-2

Good afternoon Major Geeks,
    I have a HP laptop running Windows 7. I am very up to date on updates and anti-virus/malware scanning. When I turned on my computer today, it went straight to a black screen. No windows logon or desktop. I appreciate your help.

2. satrow

satrow Major Geek Extraordinaire

Can you start Windows in Safe Mode? Keep tapping the F5/F8 keys as you start the PC.

3. fasteddie34219

fasteddie34219 Private E-2

I pulled out the laptop battery, waited a few minutes before replacing, and it eventually booted up just fine. Does it sound like something I should be worried about in the future?

4. satrow

satrow Major Geek Extraordinaire

I don't think that reads like a Windows issue, more like hardware.

Make sure your data is backed up away from the laptop and good luck ;) I don't think one glitch like that is very meaningful at this stage, but if you received discs with the laptop, take a look and see if there's any kind of diagnostic program there.

5. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Did you see the hd light come on?
    If so, it could be something as simple as the "button" that turns the display off when a laptop is closed being stuck down so the display is off instead of on.
    Look for a "button" near the display hinges and see if you can try to move it into the on position (it would be up rather than down).

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds