Windows 7 BSOD after attempted malware removal

Discussion in 'Software' started by darthsw, Jun 13, 2011.

1. darthsw

darthsw Private E-2

Hello all,

I looked through the other threads, and my problem seemed to be slightly different.

I was infected with Allureon and TDL4.mbr. I couldn't remove them until i used this special avast tool. Well, after using it, i have the BSOD that arises everytime i try to boot windows7 (32 bit) ("0x0000007B (0x80786B58, 0xC000000D, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)". I cannot boot in safe mode. I tried the startup repair function several times, one after another, and also with restarts in between, but it always cannot repair the problem.

I have also tried several bootsector recovery commands (bootsect.exe /nt60 c: AND bootsect.exe /nt60 all). They each did not change the situation, but perhaps i used them incorrectly...

I have a windows7 upgrade kit, and one of the CDs appears to contain a "boot" folder that in theory could help me...

Basically, it is clear to me that I could use expert help to continue before i screw things up even worse ;-).

Thank you in advance!

2. satrow

satrow Major Geek Extraordinaire

Welcome to Majorgeeks :)

So I guess you used aswMBR to reset the MBR to standard, yes?

My guess is that fixing the MBR broke the malware's ability to trigger a rootkit, Windows is still looking for it on boot but fails and errors out. Or, the rootkit/malware itself is blocking Safe Mode.

I don't think there's any easy fix except a nuke and reload. You could try to gain access via a PE CD like UBCD and use that to try to discover what's happening, fix the Registry manually, etc.

You might want to try the new anti-malware CD from MSFT, it might help, it's new so I haven't tried it out yet.

3. darthsw

darthsw Private E-2

yes, i had used aswMBR.

I ended up just doing a full reinstall from my CD. looks shiny and new now. I didn't have the time or a blank CD to try the MSFT antimalware cd approach.

Thanks!

4. satrow

satrow Major Geek Extraordinaire

That was probably the best option and one I used last week, too ;). Make sure you change any online passwords just in case, eh?

Take a read of How to Protect yourself from malware! to be sure you have a good range of protection installed.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds